The Firearms Forum banner

Do you carry Cocked and Locked?

15K views 55 replies 48 participants last post by  troutwest66 
#1 ·
If you carry Cocked and Locked, what do you do at the end of the day? Clear the weapon and lower the hammer, or just leave it in the ready for tomorrow? What's the pro's and con's of each method?

#52 · (Edited)
Cocked and locked for my 1911's.

The ony time I would caution against c+l is w/o a holster.

There is a possibility of the safety slipping off. So I only would be concerned if I was Mexican carrying.

Some people say "you have time to rack the slide"
I used to feel that way, but that time lets someone else know what you can do before you can do it.
Cock, Lock, and Hoster.

That being said, if you don't trust yourself, hold off, go to the range, and in time, you will trust yourself and C+L.

You are not fully protecting your self until you are c+l.
You are not safe until you are confident in doing so.

#53 ·
I understand the 1911 was designed for C&L carry, but war was the idea, wasn't it?
If you're not comfortable with C&L, you beg the question of 1911 CCW. I'm not and I do. I'd prefer a DA/SA auto or wheelgun for CCW, just for an extra margin of saftey. My 1911 is C&L in the drawer.
I'm looking for the Taurus OSS 45.
We may never hear of any trouble from a C&L carry here, but potential energy waiting for a primer is more than I'd care to carry.
I would respectfully say that if you need a gun, you are already at war.

1911 is a combat pistol, and if I need it, I feel I am in a combat situation therefore there is no better choice.

That's just my opinion.

That being said, 1911/c+l is not for everyone. Certainly revolvers have reliability, safety, and are great ccw so I can't argue against one, I just opt for the 1911.

#54 ·
I haven't been on in many months but I like to be as helpful as I can be when I do visit, so here goes. The one thing I truely learned on this excellent forum is something I let others know about at work(fellow L.E.) If you consistently chamber a round at some point doing so with the same round the actual bullet on the casing will get packed down tight into the casing to the point that it could actually cause you feeding or firing problems. If you don't believe it, take a round and slingshot or slide release the same round into the chamber about ten times then take a few of the other new rounds that haven't been chambered ever and set them on a flat table and compare the actual height of the round from rim to bullet tip, this is especially noticable on hollow points. So the moral of that is, keep the round in the chamber and if you have to unload it empty out your mag and put the chambered round as the last round the gun will fire. As to the safety of "cocked and locked" To me the 1911 cocked and locked is actually safer than a striker fired pistol with no manual safety especially if you opt to carry your pistol in a holster that consistently puts the muzzle when holstered and even drawn point blank at your body. An example would be like a inside the pants holster or snug pancake or paddle holster. I know we all train to keep that trigger index finger outside the trigger guard til the gun is brought up but in a rush digging down in a concealed holster to get your gun you might just use that trigger finger to pull the gun free and accidently do so in a manner that your finger goes into the trigger guard then "pow" you shot yourself or even more possible as has been the case with the Serpa Blackhawk G21 and MP holsters the high riding plastic top strap not your finger getting bent into your trigger upon reholstering,this actually caused a recall in what is an otherwise excellent holster. See with a 1911 you can make either error and the gun will not fire until you flip off the safety. Another advantage to not only 1911's but any traditional double action semiauto like most smiths with this action. My little 3913 and any 1911 to me are fine with my Desantis Prostealth Inside the pants holsters but im extra careful with my striker fired semi's with regard to what I mentioned. Just my 2cents worth:cool:

#55 ·
I don't carry C&L....I had my old DE .50AE discharge on me in my Explorer. It blew a hole through the floor the size of a half dollar and tripped the inertia switch(cuts off fuel in the event of a crash)....So I'm disoriented, the truck is off, I can't hear, my hand is bleading from the slide racking back, and I'm still doing 45mph with no pwr steering or pwr brakes.

I'm glad that I was by myself, and that it didn't hit me also.

#56 ·
I don't carry C&L....I had my old DE .50AE discharge on me in my Explorer. It blew a hole through the floor the size of a half dollar and tripped the inertia switch(cuts off fuel in the event of a crash)....So I'm disoriented, the truck is off, I can't hear, my hand is bleading from the slide racking back, and I'm still doing 45mph with no pwr steering or pwr brakes.

I'm glad that I was by myself, and that it didn't hit me also.
I've never shot the desert eagle but I know it doesn't have the grip safety of the 1911. That alone should have prevented your accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.