Do you check out Pawn Shops?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williamd, Sep 26, 2007.

1. williamd

williamd New Member

We have a local pawn shop that processes a number of guns of all types. From Colt SAA and Glock (NIB) to M870s/1100s and many rifles. These folks are friendly, knowledgeable and seem to genuinely appreciate the business. Most all their material are loan/pawn expirations and is put on the shelf at really good prices. Examples - shot but in factory box M870 for $280; NIB Glock M22 $360 with 3 clips, hard case and cleaning kit; Rem M742 engraved 30-06 carbine with steel tube Weaver 4x and sling for $240. Usually no contest between this pawn shop and full up gun shops. Of course, you have to be there at the right time ... and what is on the shelf is what is on the shelf. Add bins of screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, wrenches, etc that go at 50c each and it is often a neat stop. Long, heavy screw driver ideal for shotgun butt screw/bolt for 50c!
    Relatives in NM and I visit Pawns in the 4-corners area (good reason to visit Sis!!??). Makes my pocket book want to jump out but, alas, not a NM resident. Yea, she would, but then she'd worry endlessly that she might be raided in the night and hauled off by men in black ... heck, that might be a good thing for her!
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The pawn shops around here think all their guns are made of gold ! Wasn't that way ten years ago but in the last few years pawn prices are higher then gun shows or local gun shops.
  3. islenos

islenos New Member

I’ve purchased several items from local pawn shops
    The best finds were:

Ithaca 1911A1
    BSA No 5 Jungle Carbine
    Remington 03A3 with a chamber and barrel still filled with factory cosmoline
    The barrel date on the 03 was 2/43 so the pawn shop list it as a .243 cal. Lucky that someone not knowing any different didn’t buy it.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, to tell you the truth, a Remington 870 deluxe edition Wingmaster in 90% condition blue books for $190. That's a $90 premium for the box. ;) :rolleyes: Don't sound like a bargain to me!
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

Hey, 358! I am a 358W fan, too. The 358W and a 350RM carbine were my choices as a backup when guiding/hunting in BC (the northern one!). Neither are fast by many standards, but a nice heavy bullet traveling at a reasonable velocity with a lot of energy. Hiper velocity for hunting is over rated. Else the M94 (and others) would be long gone except for the movies. Checked out a Grizzly once by touching his eye with the bbl of the 358. Ok, stupid!:eek: Thought eyes were glazed, but windy and hard to tell if bear was breathing or it was the wind. Had told the hunter if there was a blink or a grunt he'd need good taxidermist for the head! We were both lucky! Won't talk about what the hair on my neck was doing.
  6. williamd

williamd New Member

snip!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  7. williamd

williamd New Member

inplanotx
    Hmmm ... my Blue Book for Wingmaster vent rib sez $315 at 90%. But, I count this one at 98% ... so $475+ as I have box and papers. You either looked at plain bbl (and assumed 90%), or the Blue Book has not made it to Plano for a few years. Being from that area I understand. :p But, it is the real home of Lance!

Any decent 870 or 1100 will fetch $350 here. I have four of each and would not even sell my year 1959 M870 for less ... in fact, would not sell it at all as it was good Texas Tech scholarship money put to use!

OOPS! Just saw the USMC emblem. Now I understand! I always wanted to be a Marine ... but kept passing the test! Actually, the finest fighting force in the world says this Swabbie who worked with UDT-12 and the USMC in some trying places. Still work a USMC program. A retired USMC Col shooting buddy had a comeback , "If you'd just failed once you could have served with the best!" Love him!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007