1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

do you have spare parts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Jan 4, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

We all know that tell us something we don't know:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't know if I'll see a spring for 4 months or more.

Seriously, I do have a collection of screws, some misc. pins, scope rings, and a Buckhorn rear sight off my Henry from when I replaced it with a Marbles tang sight.. That's about it fer me. Oh, the Henry lever was also replaced with a loop lever, so I got one of those as well.

Are magazines considered parts?
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I do keep spare parts for my ARs and I have a few spare parts for my M1 Garand.
  4. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

In general Beth, you dont really need spare parts for personal weapons, IMO. I always seem to have about 20 firearms around that I call my own and a couple of other folks weapons that I'm working on, but once I have a gun working the way I want it there is nothing that I expect to wear out or break soon enough to warent buying spares just to have around. In fact I just sold a bunch of spare parts on an auction site and am spending that money on accessories and ammo.
    In the event that a shooter spends so much time at the range that he/she wears out parts on the norm, then he/she already knows what those are. The average gun owner will wear out a few cars before wearing out a gun and a few sets of tires before a trigger etc.. That spare part probably won't be the part that fails anyway so I would sooner recomend buying spare ammo!
  5. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I have a lot of basic parts, for many of my firearms, that I have managed to collect "by default" over the years. I have spare shok buffers and springs and grips for my 1911, I have quite a few spare rifle scopes and all sorts of mounts, screws, etc. I have quite a few pairs of spare grips, spare rifle stocks, things of that sort. I suppose if I was really "being prepared" I would have spare firing pins and firing pin springs for my rifles and shotguns, and spare springs of each type for my handguns. Depends on the cross section of types of firearms you own, and how you use em, as to what you will/may need. I also have the phone numbers of a few used gun parts dealers that I have dealt with over the years, some for "regular normal" stuff and some for hard to find parts (like the time I needed a bunch of parts for a Winchester Lee 6mm Navy rifle that I was putting back together; now THAT was the needle in the hay stack search!!)
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? How about for a 12 gauge pump gun marked Savage and the only numbers on it is 3107 on the bottom of the receiver? Says it was made in Ithica NY.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

No, it doesn't. It might say Utica, NY, which was the original home of Savage. Sounds like the Model 1929 slide-action shotgun and I have an original barrel, hammer, and some minor parts.
  8. howlnmad

Sorry, I stand corrected. The dang thing wouldn't stay locked in battery. It shot fine if you held the forearm forward and squeezed the trigger.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

I have spare parts, but none intentionally. I just accumulate a few parts here and there and it seems like they have a way of multiplying in that dark box. I keep telling my wife my guns do that too in the darkness of the safe but she doesn't believe me.

Seriously, if I need a part I order it. Rarely happens however. Guns are pretty reliable and don't break. From time to time I have to replace a spring but I never plan on having to do that in advance.
  10. howlnmad

I got looking at it further (been a long time since I've picked it up) and found the markings model 1921 lightly engraved on it by the trigger gaurd.