Do you keep an inventory of your loaded ammunition?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Suicide*Ride, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I've always stored my ammunition in Military ammo cans & after amassing enough loaded ammo (factory & reloads) to fill 3 large (20mm) & 8 medium (7.62) containers - I lost track of what I actually have on hand. Not to mention the days of grabbing a bunch to shoot, & the days of reloading more.

So, it took a while, but I finally "bit the bullet" :rolleyes: & sat down w/ pen & paper to find out what the total number is. I learned the hard way, that just moving it from 1 can to another while counting it doesn't work! It took longer than I thought it would & was wondering if any other reloaders keep a running tab on what they have in their cache (or an ammo dump for some :p).

Here's my question: How do you store it, keep track of it, & label your containers? (not the ammo cans, the 20rd & 50rd boxes)

SR
  2. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I would like to, but it may be tooo much to count. If I took the time to count and organize, my wife may make me organize other things around the house.

J
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I KEEP A TALLY ON HOW MUCH AMMO I HAVE AT ANY ONE TIME,MY HANDGUN AMMO IS PUT IN PLASTIC BOXES WITH ALL LOAD DATA ON OUTSIDE OF BOX.I KEEP INSIDE BOX A DUPLICATE OF INFO.WHEN I REMOVE BOX TO SHOOT I REMOVE INSIDE TAG AND USE IT TO KEEP A RUNNING INVENTORY ON THAT SPECIFIC CALIBER.I DO THE SAME ON MY RIFLE LOADS BUT USE SMALL ZIP LOCK FREEZER BAGS.THE AMMO ITS SELF IN IN A WALKIN CLOSET THAT I CONVERTED INTO SHELVES ALONG EACH SIDE OF WALL.WHEN I HAVE SPENT THE WINTER RELOADING A USE THE SAME TYPE AMMO BOXES YOU USE TO STORE SPECIFIC AMMO. OLD SEMPERFI
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I don't make a list. I just count the fired brass on the table by the tumbler. That tells me when I'm running low on any caliber.
  5. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

the guy i was learning from has a **** ton of 5 gallon buckets in his dry room and all of them are labeled for different calibers. when he loads them he puts them into a zip lock bag and writes how many are in there onto the bag with a sharpie. he puts either 50 (rifle ammo) or 100 (pistol ammo) rounds in each bag. he counts the bags and writes how many rounds are in the bucket on the lid of the bucket when he fills it and then writes the info in a little note book he keeps beside the press. when he uses ammo he goes back to his notebook and puts down how much he used. he is kind of paranoid that someone is going to steal his ammo or something i think. i swear the guy is a little nuts. cool as hell but a little crazy
  6. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I have sat down and counted all of my ammo. I use an ammo can system. it is a little easier for me now cause I only load for 2 calibers. I keep all my .30-06 in one .50cal can, till deer season or I want to play with my rifle. Then in my other can I like to keep around a thousand .223 and several hundred .45acp as kind of a grab and go can in case the SHTF. I like to set goals on the amounts I want to have on hand, then get componets and load up to them, and replace what I shoot.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Stored on a cinder block shelf in the basement.
    Keep track by keeping a written list.
    Labeled by caliber, on the cinder blocks, in front of each row.
    Don't have any "boxes" just ammo cans, battle packs, or cases.
    If a container needs pertinent info, I put a "sticky" note on it.
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

I store all my handgun ammo in 50 round plastic boxes. I have the load data on a stick-on lable on the boxes and store them on a shelf. I can glance at the shelf and get a good idea of what I've got on hand. But, having just moved, I've not unpacked my ammo yet (still in GI ammo boxes), so I can only guess!:eek:
  9. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! Yes I do, even if in the begining it takes some minutes and it is "boring".
  10. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

It's not boring, but time consuming. It's like counting little pieces of gold.

Or even like counting pennies like when we were kids just to see how much you have....:)
  11. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I started doing it, but it changes so fast that I decided it was too much trouble to keep up with it.
  12. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Thanks for the great posts guys! I guess having a running inventory is only advantagous for someone if they've got a ton of different ammo to keep track of. I stopped buying bulk ammo about the same time that I started reloading so the only GI can I own w/ loose rds. in it is 22LR.

Jdon; that was too funny! I Rolled OTF, Laughing MAO!!!! :D :p :D :p :D That's exactly how I felt while counting everything! ;)

Since I store my rds. the same way all yr. round [15K+ in plastic boxes inside GI ammo cans], I had to think of a way to keep track of each box & also to be able to know @ a glance what's inside. I mark all 4 sides & the top of ea. plastic case w/ a code so I can read it regardless of how it is stacked in the GI can.:

A green case gets: GC-1, a red case gets: RC-1, etc. If the ammo is hot SD/HD (+P+), then the lid gets a label
    marked : WARSHOT. A little black mark on the lip is to let me know the ammo has been counted. I can't believe I went as long as I did w/o having my ammunition organized & inventoried, especially after I considered how much $$$ I have invested!

Should the S ever HTF, ammuntion will be like "little pieces of gold", & knowing what I have in my account for bartering has given me a little better piece of mind.

SR

Attached Files:

13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Most of my ammo is in vacuum sealed bags. I use a shapie to date and label them, referencing to my load book for any specific info. I don't seal up any oddball amounts, so the numbers are easy to keep track of. I don't seal up all the ammo, just the extra. Any of the boxes or containers that I use get marked or labeled as needed. I don't try out near as many loads anymore, so most of the boxes are load specific anymore. As for a total count of ammo on hand? I'm pretty sure its enough...for now.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you shop around, you can find plastic ammo boxes in several colors and sizes. I use a different color for each caliber.

So, in 45 ACP-size boxes, I've got 44 Russian in brown, 40 S&W in red, 45AR in dark blue, 45 ACP 230 FMJ in clear blue, 45 ACP 230 lead in clear, and 45 ACP wimp loads for the Webley and the Derringer in green.

38 Special size, I've got 38 in blue, 357 125 JHC in brown, 357 158 LSWC in clear, 32/20 in red, 30 carbine in green.

9mm size, 9x19 in brown, 380 in blue, 38 S&W in red, 9x18 in green.

45 Colt in dark blue, 44 magnum in brown, 44 special in red, 44/40 in clear blue, 38/40 in clear, 41 magnum in green.

I only load one type of load, for each caliber. I find what works, and I make it. So marking my boxes is not necessary, but I do it anyway ('cause I'm anal, I think). But by just looking at the shelf, I can tell by the size and color what I've got.

I used to have ammo scattered everywhere, but have started conglomerating it. I built a set of shelves, to hold my ammo cans. Ammo in the cans is in quart-size Ziploc freezer bags, and marked with a sharpie as to what, the date and the round count. The cans get a 2" masking tape label on the top, R/H side and front. So, no matter how the can is set, I can read what is in it. Once I finally have my cans sorted out - what will go in the 50 cans, what goes in the 30 cans, what goes in the tall 50s - the tape will be taken off and the cans will be stenciled.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I started out reloading till all my brass was loaded then packing it away for later use. Then I started trading off firearms I had loads developed for and ending up having to get the kinetic hammer. So now, I load a box or 2 for each arm i own and packing prepped components away instead. That way, if I run accross a good trade i wont have to pull as many loads and start over;)