Do you now wish that you had invested your social security in the stock market?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huck Finn, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

It sure seemed like everyone here thought it was a great idea when the shrub was pushing it.Are you still mad that the option was never presented to you? How great would it have been to have your whole social security account tied to the stock market????? Is anyone mad that common sense put an end to that idea?

P.S A great big Hello hello and howdy howdy to Mike, And a sincere hope for Exracer that what ever road he has to travel is easy and smooth. He always had my back here, even when he disagreed with what I had to say, so I really wish the best for him and his family. He has always been the voice of reason and a good man and that's something he can hang on to and bring with him on his next journey. It is us who will lose, not him. God bless you my friend.
  2. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Yes sir...I had always wished for the opportunity especially regarding protected (?) mutuals and such........

Am retired now...but I can swear there was A time ( if not still ) you could OPT out or not have deductions..but lose that vestment accumalation of course...but I guess now its a required deduction.......

I remember now the 2 year sI ran my consulting private little business..I had refunds those years...but SS was deducted from refunds..Im glad...but dont know lot of right ways to do...

But as person now disabled using SS and 401's...I repeat my Grandad's advice to any youngun's......put some away..now more than ever...and put it well put....

thanks,
  3. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Please point me to Bush's plan to allow anyone to opt to have his "whole social security account tied to the stock market"
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Here is thinking of you Huck.:mad:
  5. 94z07

94z07 New Member

What's the matter? Can't link to a plan that you created from whole cloth?
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Actually, it would still be better if you were allowed to manage that money in an effective way. If I could simply transfer the higher-risk stocks to fixed-rate bonds as I can now with my 401k, then I really see no problem here.

It also depends on where you are in life. You could look at cheap stocks as a bargain buy right now if you're in your 20s, as I am. If you're older, you could do just as I said and transfer your balances to fixed-rate bonds.

What you're calling common sense as a reason for not privatizing social security is actually just short-sighted and not well fleshed out logic. Delve a little deeper into the issue before broadly calling it bad.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

If we would have done all the things Bush suggested we would not be in the mess we are in now. However since the warnings about Fanny and Freddie were ignored by the left we have this crisis.
    So as you can see if you have half a brain the dems not only prevented SS from improving they also killed the stock market. Not bad for less than 3 years controlling congress.
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of us thought we should have the option to put it ALL into the market, but Bush never even proposed this. His plan was to allow people to have control over only a portion of their SS money, and it failed because our illustrious representatives in government were having too much fun putting it into liberal programs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

But IF I had the opportunity to have put it ALL into the markets would I have done so?
    Let us examine that a little bit -
    I started paying into SS when I was 16, fifty years ago - 1959.
    In 1959 the DOW was running around $600.
    I continued to pay into SS until my job moved to China in 2004.
    In 2004 the DOW was running around $10,000.
    I started drawing SS when I was 62, in 2005
    In 2005 the DOW was running around $10,500.
    During the time that I drew it, the market went even higher.
    In 2007, the DOW broke $14,000.
    I am still drawing it today.
    Today, the DOW is running around $6,600.

Do I wish my SS deductions would have been put into mutual funds fifty years ago when the DOW was $600 and allowed to draw dividents for fifty years AND take advantage of an ELEVEN FOLD appreciation level to today?

Absolutely!!!
    And so should any thinking person who simply looks at the markets LONG TERM history.

Remember folks, retirement is LONG TERM! You can not look at the market 18 months ago and compare it to today and conclude that it is a poor place for returement money, unless you start paying in only 18 months before you plan to retire.
  9. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Huck even though I'm sure that this has been posted before but it appears you either missed it or just don't want to hear the truth.
    Do you wish now that the dems would have listened to Bush and others warnings?
    Reason for crisis
  10. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I see it like this..... I'm 33 and the only way I'll ever see any SS money is if I go on disability soon. Since I'm healthy and can work the govt will expect me to work till I 75 or so. By the time I get there SS will be long gone. If I could invest it all myself I could control MY money at MY comfort level and be responsible for MY actions.
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'll add these...

How Bush's policies actually helped us to stave off the recession looming in the wake of the Tech Sector bubble burst, even though Europe fell victim.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/exactly_wrong_again.html

And how Bush DIDN'T cause the mortgage crisis, but rather failed liberal policies (or perhaps they didn't fail at all?... :mad:)

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/what_really_happened_in_the_mo.html