Do you remember this growing up in the 70s?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbcooper, Feb 8, 2014.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

If you are about my age, just wondering if you remember ..

having a Mighty Mo dump truck
    [​IMG]

or one of these? I flat wore the back tires off of mine sliding it sideways
    [​IMG]

do you still get that tingly feeling when you hear "Convoy" from CW McCall?

[​IMG]

when everyone was wondering who shot JR, I was having a crush on her
    [​IMG]

They were way cool

[​IMG]

and I never missed a show unless THE PRESIDENT WAS ON!:eek:

in 11 grade we got some of these but nobody knew what to do with them
    [​IMG]

sometimes its fun to look back....
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought one of those Apple MacIntosh computers when they first came out. It sure beat trying to do any thing in Microsoft DOS. I don't remember what I paid for that thing but at the time is astronomical!

A lot of memories in those six pictures. I bought my kids those green machines for Christmas one year.
  3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I remember them all :) However, that Mac didn't become available until around 1984 or 1985. the Mac was invented after the IBM PC which was made available in 1982. Microsofts copyright for MS DOS was 1981. Before the first Mac there was the Apple II, Apple IIe and the Apple IIc portable. The Apple IIc became available in 1984 if I remember correctly - I bought one. The first Mac was a year later. My boss bought one.
  4. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

I remember CW aka Chip Davis didn't watch Dukes but did watch Steve Austin. My Toys were from the 60's like a Johnny Reb cannon, a plastic O/U that fired caps, Major Matt Mason, GI Joe and Johnny West.
  5. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually, my one and only Apple didn't come with a monitor; I had to buy a modulator card to attach it to my TV. IIRC, it cost $3200, plus another $300 for an external disk drive. It was an Apple IIc, which was the latest thing and available via my employer and a payroll deduction that spread the cost over a couple of years. That was in 1978 - 79, and long before DOS or the IBM PC.
  6. Southernpride

Southernpride Member

That's a wonderful blast from the past. Seeing that green machine sure brought back some fond memories. It sure broke my heart when my back tires split into due to some excess sliding:D
  7. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    The list fails for not including the one and only, original Lawn Darts!

[​IMG]
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh your 70s crush Catherine Bach (born Catherine Bachman; March 1, 1954) is an American actress. She is known for playing Daisy Duke in the television series The Dukes of Hazzard and Margo Dutton in African Skies. In 2012, she joined the cast of the CBS soap opera The Young and the Restless as Anita Lawson.....as a grifter con hustler and also is a grandmother.

Time does march on, and yes the wife and I watch the Y&R, one of my few vices. :eek:
  9. jmace57

jmace57 Member

I got the "tingly feeling" from Catherine Bach ...not from "Convoy"!
  10. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

Many fond memories from all but the dump truck. Mine were (plural) Tonka.
  11. Maser

Maser Active Member

I was born in 1989. I kind of remember playing with something that was similar in nature to that Green Machine thing. I don't remember the lawn darts, but do remember using a bow and arrow for similar results. ;)
  12. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Tonka ruled!!! A M-80 in the cab of the Tonka dump truck just blew out the windows.
  13. dbcooper

That would be 11th grade for me
    maybe you didnt catch that in my post
  14. dbcooper

CW McCall was a man named Bill Fries (sp)
    he is not the same person as Chip Davis
    They worked together musically

Chip of course went on to form Manheim Steamroller

I think Fries still lives in Ouray Co
  15. WHSmithIV

Not possible. The Apple IIc was only available in 1984. I bought one then. The IIC didn't need a modulator card because it hooked up direct to TV. It was the first 'portable' usable computer.

The first Apple II's went on sale in 1977 with a hefty cost of $1,200+. The apple IIe's went on sale in 1983.
  16. WHSmithIV

Oh, and the firs Macintosh only became available in 1984 also.
  17. WHSmithIV

What you need to realize is that back in the early days of computers the circuits designs were written on paper then were breadboarded to test them. As the computers became better, they were able to process data fast and programs were written to help design better circuits as well as determine how to advance the technologies.

New computers get designed by existing computers. In the early days we sat down with a penicil and paper and drew out a circuit plan with and gates and or gates and nor gates, risistance and capacitance and voltage values. When we figured a circuit would work, we bread boarded it and tested it. This never happens anymore. The computer programs do the calculations now to create the next generation of them.
  18. cchgn

cchgn Member

clacker, pet rock, lava lamp, blacklight Jimi hendrix
  19. WHSmithIV

Tonka's and GI Joe - had them in the mid to late 60's :) I really loved my Tonka trucks, skip loaders etc. Nothing better to play with in a sand box. I sure did like my GI Joe's too. Even had the space suit for him after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. My mom sold all my GI Joe stuff for well over $1000 back around 1988. I had the foot locker, all the guns, belts, swords, backpacks, holsters, uniforms, hat's, boots, dress shoes, the works.

All of them in the GI JOE foot locker since 1967 when we moved to Europe. When my Dad was transferred by his company to Belguim they aid the shipping costs but our toys were not included. They were stored at my grandmothers house. Only very minimal amounts of immediate toys did my two brothers and I have to take with us.Our parents simply figured they would buy us new toys when we were there and they did. GI Joe didn't get to make the trip though.

I played with GI Joe like little girls play with Barbie's. As I recall, my GI Joe played with the little girl next door Barbies also :D ... hmm.. her name was Carmen and her dad got real mad at her when we were 6 years old and were playing 'doctor' in her bedroom..... Not my fault - it was her idea.

Note: extra edits as memories came back. Good post to keep childhood memories alive :)

I remember I even had a scuba outfit with scuba tanks and an inflatable rubber dingy for GI Joe. The collector who bought the GI Joe stuff from my Mom was astounded to find all of the stuff intact. I remember that my GI Joes had M1 Garands, M14's and 1911 pistols. I think I also had a Thompson 45 for the commando GI Joe.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  20. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I was very fond of my Commodore 64 back in the 80s. :)