Do you think the electoral college is out dated?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jjmitchell60, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I was talking it over with a member of my family that in theory Obama can win 10 states by 1 or more votes and loose the other 40 plus DC by millions yet still win the election! Now the reason is it takes 270 electoral college votes to win the office f POTUS and if a person wins the top 10 states as to number of electoral college votes, they win the seat but they can actually loose the popular vote by millions of votes.

With that said, do you feel that it is time to adjust the electoral college system or do you feel that if we do we are tampering with one foundation of the Constitution thus opening the door for all amendments to be adjusted, even the 1st and 2nd as well as others?

OK, if you follow my logic, give me what you think on the subject?
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Out of date, if you win the popular(people's)vote, but lose because of the electoral college set up, it's just not right, or what we the people voted for, I'm still voting tomorrow, because it's the right thing to do, even though the EC method will basically make my vote null and void because I live in Ca,
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
  4. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Are you kidding,...We don't need Congress...We have Computers !!!.....

Denny G.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it hangs on a while....
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

The EC system is way out of date for sure. It was set up for a couple of reasons at the time. One was the distances involved with getting vote counts in to Washington - they had to be sent on horseback. The other reason was because states with lower population were afraid that their voice wouldn't be heard (and this was the main reason). With the EC system, states were assigned a number of electors based on their population. What makes the system out of date now (besides computers) is that states that have lots of commerce have ended up creating large cities with massive populations. Compare New York with multi millions of population to Idaho with 1.6 million population and over twice the land mass. This unbalanced population ratio now makes the system obsolete and computers can take up the inequity - i.e. every vote counts and popular vote wins the Presidency. Before computers, this wasn't really feasible within the guidelines in the Constitution for the dates that are defined for elections. From election day the states have 34 days to get their votes in and convene the electoral college.

There will have to be a national referendum to abolish this system and move to a popular vote. At least with a popular vote, the vote of every citizen WILL count.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Considering the state of our politics it's more important now than ever.
  8. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

OldGrump - I apologize, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying that keeping the electoral college is more important than ever or getting rid of it?

As of 3:30 PM the national count of early votes was 19,600,000 something for Romney and 15,500,000 something for Obama. The count was over 4 million votes in favor Romney (55% to 43%) but Obama leads the Electoral College with 280 votes.....

I don't think any of us would be happy with Obama staying president when over 10 or even 20 million Americans voted him out.
  9. B27

B27 New Member

Short answer.....no.

I think the founders got it right the first time.
  10. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

In a popular vote the large number 9f welfare folk will always vote themselves more wellfare or an elected offical who will authorize it. Where with the current system farmers amd cattle folk in less populated states still have some power with the electorial college No??

Changed my mind on this - population vote does NOT impact a state electors decision to vote for one canidate or the or the other. It might INFLUENCE their vote but they get to vote the way they wish. So under this system the ELECTORS have the power NOT the populatiton. If no canidate gets 270 electoral votes then the president is elected by the congress and the VP is elected by the Senate. One senator one vote. One Congressperson one vote. in a tie electoral vote you elected for Congress is VERY important under this system. Which party control the house is very important.

The system needs to be modified to FORCE the electors to vote which way the population vote goes IMO.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. Rogeritall

Rogeritall New Member

As the old saying goes... Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner. With a popular vote, the majority would always get its way. Which is great as long as you are not part of the minority.

I would like to see the E.C. modernized to better reflect voter turnout, maybe by splitting up points available from States by a ratio in some way. But, it would most likely be manipulated that way as well. But, even though it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to say so... I think the E. C. system is necessary even in modern times.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Absolutely necessary. Computers? Man that would be a real can of worms, the politicians would find (as they already have) all kinds of ways to cheat! What if the power goes out? What about hackers? Try to imagine a recount with the lights out! Remember the dangling chads in FL?

Democracy is two wolves, and a sheep, deciding what's for dinner. But it works as long as the sheep are well armed!
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yes. Shouldn't popular vote be the deciding factor?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  14. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Sometimes I think it is irrelevant. The blue vs red states are so far apart I think the is good chance we will end up in a Civil War.
  15. Airdale

Airdale Member

Absolutely not the founders got it right. Do you really wan't the right and left coasts to determine the President in all elections?
  16. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I think that who ever ends up with the most votes should win.
    Mike
  17. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. A couple states split their EC votes proportionally according to their popular vote ratios, which I think is the best way to do it. The "Winner takes all" approach of most states is what throws things out of balance, especially in those with a lot of EC votes.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Please remember that our Nation was not set up as a Democratic Nation, but a Republic. In a Democratic Nation the popular vote would be the deciding factor. That is why our Founding Fathers saw fit to create the Electoral College. They knew that everyone would not vote. Look at what the minority has accomplished to date. Queers getting married. Removal of all religious quotes, statements, and scripture form public places, and schools!
  19. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

The electoral college is absolutely, positively not out of date. This is why we are a Republic not a Democracy. Don't take this the wrong way, but generally people who favor changing it, don't fully understand it.
  20. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I disagree. The reason most of us want to see it changed is because we do understand it. Cali immediate 55 votes. New York immediate 20 votes. The Republican starts with a 75 vote deficit. This magic number of 270 is stupid. Win a state get a point. whoever gets 26 states wins. Simple. In case of a tie, use the total popular vote. How hard is this to get. Simple efficient. and fair.