Do you think the electoral college is out dated?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jjmitchell60, Nov 5, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

*meant to say 21k votes
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

If Texas secedes I'm immigrating
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

My daughter who lives in Sacramento thinks the state should be split up into THREE states to parallel the political leanings.
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

At least 2
  5. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

The same Liberals who want to do away with Constl. protections want strong gun control. Better leave the EC in place. ;)
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    And that gents is the heart of my question! With tampering with the EC are we opening the door for the rest of the Constitution to be tampered with!

I ask the question thinking that the EC needs tweaking but instead the election process itself is what needs tweaking. The founding fathers bestowed the right to vote on "landed men" in the thought that you should be responsible to vote. Well we have grown a lot in that and we now allow those to vote who are not "landed men" but that is a s it should be HOWEVER we allow many to vote who have no right OR are not responsible enough to vote. Illegal aliens is one main group that comes to mind! We allow mail in voting which in itself open up corruption. We allow the votes to be counted by companies, not by the state officials who were originally given the duty and right to count the votes. Also can we say that any group of people that have been on government entitlements for generations are "responsible" voters? I under stand if you need a helping hand BUT that helping hand should not extend to a generational lifestyle. That is not being responsible.

In answering my own question, no the EC does not need to be abolished BUT we do need severe election REFORM!
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I could not have said it any better!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Come on! Cali won't miss you, and you are welcome here! You know you are going to have to leave sooner, or later!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally do not like the concept of the EC. In my opinion it negates the voice of the individual. Popular vote should be the factor that decides whos the president. That way each and every ballot sheet cast has a face value. as it should..
  10. geds

geds New Member

Interesting discussions, but the last time the popular vote was different than the EC vote was Al Gore vs. George Bush. Personally I am thankful for the EC!

As much as folks predicted a split this time around, it did not happen.
  11. markfh

markfh New Member

Don't mean to be harsh but that's crazy. You really need to study why the founders created the EC. It's obvious you don't understand the difference between a "democracy" and the "representative republic" the founders created. There's a huge difference.

Living in Texas I do NOT want demonrat libtards making all the decisions for me and I'd rather fight for our freedom from the rest of the country if they decide they want what you want.
  12. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The problem is NOT the EC. The EC was designed to protect us from "democrat" (ic) rule. The problem is maintaining HONEST & FAIR elections! We have allowed to much money & power to enter the political arena.

I have tried to be optimistic about our chances. But, it does seem to me that we have become to far gone because of the evil & corruption devouring our country like a cancer. Today, I fear we have only two options-

Option 1--- Pray that the Lord Jesus return and do so very swiftly before all is lost.

Option 2--- The "Red" states need to form an alliance and begin to pressure the FG to change.​

There is another option. But, we'll never get enough people together that have the courage to do it. So, it's not a viable way out of the mess we're in right now.

-
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Please read my earlier post in this thread. I spelled out one of the chief examples of how the EC protects an individual's vote actually counting for something. The other point of the EC is that it protects state's rights. The United States wasn't supposed to be/act as 1 huge country.
    The EC was and is a great, if imperfect as are all solutions to some degree, solution to a dual problem; protecting the value of the individual's vote, and also assuring each state, no matter how small, had a strong say in the direction of the federal government.