Do you use lee auto disk?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 44stevenson, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

Does anyone use lee auto disks? I've got some but it doesn't seem like a reliable powder measuring method. For example a load I was loading showed 6.0 starting grains and 6.6 maximum and the recipe said use a .66 disk, but I had to use a .71 disk just to get 6.1 grains.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I check with a scale as you are doing and i find that i have to make adjustments also.

ALso make sure your scale is calabrated right.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  3. Texxut

Texxut Member

The auto disk chart really only gives you a starting point, expect to have to adjust one way or another. Some times it's right on, but don't assume it, always check.
  4. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Yes...the disks are on the low side of things. It would be nice if they are more accurate...but they error on the side of caution.

J
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

I mostly use the adjustable charge bar these days but found the disks to throw very consistent charges. Ther variances in powder density make the adjustable simpler to fine tune, but either method works well for me.
  6. Warith

Warith Member

I always have to messure the autodisk charge. It has always undercharged from what I wanted or the book said it would throw for a charge.

I need to get me one of those adjustable charge bars.
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I use them on my Loadmaster and it throws every consistent charges.
  9. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

adjustable charge bar Best $8 I ever spend!
  10. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

+1!
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I have been using a pro auto disk measure for five years and it throws the powders I use all day long very consistant.
  12. warnerwh

warnerwh New Member

I load very accurate ammo with the Auto Disk. I also like the fact that the hole cannot change size and is exact every time. My main (medium) loads are with Unique powder which so many complain about not metering well. All of my revolvers can shoot at worst 1.5" groups at 25 yards. That is my minimum acceptable accuracy. The Auto Disk throws consistent charges unless something is wrong with the unit.
  13. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

I use lee's pro auto disc on turret press. It will throw charges +/- .01 gr. with any powder I've tried. The discs do throw less than the chart calls for. I keep a note book with the actual weights. It's still good to check them on a scale but the notes give you a starting point
  14. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've used a Lee Auto Disk for over 20 years. Yes, it does throw a lighter charge than listed on the chart. This does not bother me at all. I weigh the charge and adjust accordingly. Usually "one hole bigger" is just about right for handgun calibers.

jdon's correct..... Lee errors on the side of caution.
  15. noylj

noylj Member

Here is the Excel file I use to keep track of the actual charge weights I have gotten and the expected charge weights. It is in test (tab delimited) format. Should be able to copy and paste into any spreadsheet program.

Attached Files: