1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Do you use lee auto disk?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 44stevenson, Feb 13, 2011.

1. streetglide45

streetglide45 New Member

I have used the Lee Auto Disk for about a year now. I started using it on a Lyman turret press. I bought the Lee 1000 press that comes with the Auto Disk. It works with a chain attached to the carrier.

The first one I used worked with a spring to shuttle the disk back to its home position. The system that comes with the Lee 1000 press and uses the chain does not always return fully to the home position. I ran 50 powder loads tonight with the chain pull Auto disk and had 3 of the 50 with no or almost no powder and variation in the rest of the throws. I ran another 50 with the spring return system and had no issues.

I had found 3 out another batch of 50 I loaded about two months ago with the same problem. I was at the range and the bullets got stuck in the barrel. After the second one got stuck, I stopped shooting these rounds. This prompted me to start taking a good look at my powder system.

I would not recommend using the chain pull system on the Lee 1000 press. I would recommend using the spring return system.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I have found my Lee disks on my Pro powder dispenser to provide very good consistency of charge dropped. There is a difference between saying that and saying the Lee disk chart is accurate. I never rely on just some printed chart (actually I have never looked up a powder throw on the chart -lol ) - I pick a size and weigh what it is delivering. I then adjust a size up or down until I get the throw I want.

In truth I only use Win 231/HP-38 and spent some time weighing the powder throw for a dozen different hole sizes to create my own 'chart' that I taped to the wall in my reloading room. That way I can just use the disk hole size MY chart shows.....though I will still check weigh as I go.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I used the disk number that Lee suggested on their chart and found it was less than the min charge. I just kept using larger numbers until I found one that worked. I think for my Unique in 9mm, Lee suggested the .61 disk. Had to use the .71 disk to get the correct amount of powder but I weighed every load to make sure.