Do you want to know where you food comes from?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 300 H&H, Nov 25, 2007.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

The new farm bill is being held up in congress, because there are those who do not want you to know where your food comes from. :eek:Doesn't it seem a bit strange that when you buy other things than food, you can read a tag or lable and know for sure where is was made. But with food you have know idea.:eek: And the biggest food companies in this great country of ours want it that way. They are the ones spending alot of time and money to defeat this rule before the Senate can get it passed. I suggest you e mail your congress men/women and let them know how you feel about knowing where on earth your food is comming from. :)Best reguards Kirk
  2. Far too much of the food, especially the fresh food, is coming from offshore these days, where our regulations do not apply or are ignored. Personally, I prefer my sweet corn, for example, grown in Iowa by buxom farm girls. :D;)
  3. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

Always try to buy locally grown produce when possible. As well as buying American produce thats not grown here in Florida when possible. As for meat, that's what hunting season is for. My son brought home two turkeys yesterday,got a hog and deer in the freeze.
    Beef is a little tough to just go shoot. But there are a couple of local butchers we use most of the time. In today's market it's tough to know just what your putting in your mouth if your not paying attention to what your buying.
    Already broke down the two turkeys, deboned meat in the freezer,balance of bones and wings into pot to make stock. Making vegetable/turkey stew. Tomorrows dinner over rice.

I think it's pathetic that we will rightfully mandate recalls for unsafe toys and in the same breath not put the same restraints on the food coming into this country. Same can be said for the medical field, I can find out more about a plumber I want to use than I can about a surgeon.
    Plain and simple we as consumers most be intelligent about our purchases, if you can't find out what's in it or where it came from, don't buy it.

Anyway, got to check the stew.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Pistol,
    How about some "Tempelton Rye" ;)along with the sweetcorn and the buxon farmgirls! Kirk:D:D
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Peaches and pears in those plastic jars at walmart come from China!!!! If i remember right it was "Dole" Brand as well. Plywood from Home Depot comes from China...and the sad thing of it is that its some of the best looking plywood i've seen in some time....

mike
    gn
  6. A pan of cornbread, a glass of Templeton Rye, and a nice, pliant Iowa farm girl. Now you're talkin' 300! :D

Or in the song of the time . . .

Rye Whiskey

I'll eat when I'm hungry,
    I'll drink when l'm dry,
    If the hard times don't kill me,
    I'll lay down and die.

Rye whisky, rye whisky,
    Rye whisky, l cry,
    If you don't give me rye whisky,
    I surely will die.

I'll tune up my fiddle,
    And I 'll rosin my bow,
    I'll make myself welcome,
    Wherever I go.

Beefsteak when l'm hungry,
    Red liquor when l'm dry,
    Greenbacks when I'm hard up,
    And religion when I die.

They say l drink whisky,
    My money's my own;
    All them that don't like me,
    Can leave me alone.

Sometimes l drink whisky,
    Sometimes l drink rum,
    Sometimes l drink brandy,
    At other times none.

But if I get boozy,
    My whisky's my own,
    And them that don't like me,
    Can leave me alone.

Jack o' diamonds, jack o' diamonds,
    I know you of old,
    You've robbed my poor pockets
    Of silver and gold.

Oh, whisky, you villain,
    You've been my downfall,
    You've kicked me, you've cuffed me,
    But I love you for all.

If the ocean was whisky,
    And I was a duck,
    I'd dive to the bottom
    To get one sweet suck.

But the ocean ain't whisky
    And l ain't a duck,
    So we'll round up the cattle
    And then we'll get drunk.

My foot's in my stirrup,
    My bridle's in my hand,
    l'm leaving sweet Lillie,
    The fairest in the land.
    Her parents don't like me,
    They say l'm too poor;
    They say I'm unworthy
    To enter her door.

Sweet milk when l'm hungry,
    Rye whisky when l'm dry,
    If a tree don't fall on me,
    I'll live till I die.

I'll buy my own whisky,
    I'll make my own stew,
    If I get drunk, madam,
    It's nothing to you.

I'll drink my own whisky,
    I'll drink my own wine,
    Some ten thousand bottles
    I've killed in my time.

I've no wife to quarrel
    No babies to bawl;
    The best way of living
    Is no wife at all.

Way up on Clinch Mountain
    l wander alone,
    l'm as drunk as the devil,
    Oh, let me alone.

You may boast of your knowledge
    An' brag of your sense,
    'Twill all be forgotten
    A hundred years hence.

(Negro Variant)
    In my little log cabin,
    Ever since I been born,
    Dere ain't been no nothin'
    'Cept dat hard salt, parched corn.

But l know whar's a henhouse,
    De turkey he charve;
    An, if ol' Massa don' kill me
    l cain't never starve.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Best version of this song I have, on 78 RPM !!!! It is Tex Ritter and it is a superb take on a very drunk sot trying to sing the song.
  8. Ritter had a wonderful base voice, Marlin. I will never forget his rendition of "High Noon" from the Gary Cooper film of the same name. In fact, I have that version on MP3. Want it?
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

What is the "78 RPM" you speak of Marlin ?? :D:rolleyes:;)

mike
    gn
  10. Those were used on Victrolas, Mike. :D;)

[​IMG]
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Isn’t that Bill held up because it has written into it, MANMADE global warming, and the direct cost that it is going to incur? Billions if not trillions of dollars.

Or is this a new bill that has nothing to do MANMADE global warming?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Marlin T,
    I guess I'm not sure what might be "bundled" up with it, as it seems that's the way it is done....:confused: What I am refering to is called "country of origin labling" and farm groups have been tring to get it for at least 2 election cycles. We get lied to alot by our Gov. last time around, we gave in on this one, and in return we were supposed to through our"supierior" international trade, get open access to markets in other countries.:) That might have gone better if other countries wanted our food, but many are afraid of genetically modified foods.:( So we have no more access than before. Part of the problem with the new bill is that it re-inforces an existing law the 1938 packer and stockyards act that forbades "packers" from owning livestock.... that has been completely ignored for many years, long enough that Smithfield foods and Tyson foods were born and developed on Gov subsidized cheap corn. So farmers are at the mercy of these two Giants, that have been in violation of the law.:mad: Sound familiar? This coupled with failed trade negociations have the "new" farm bill stalled out as the money and power are beginng to "circle the wagons" against it. Don't you love how our country works? By the way Smithfield and Tyson's are also responcible for attacking ethanol as they see to feel $2.00 corn is a "birth right" and they will fight anything that raises feed cost as THEY OWN the animals that are being fed. Don't you feel sorry for these guys?:mad: We have more "recalls" for their products than ever, and by the way they are very big users of Illegal aleins for their labor, evan Bussing them up from the border through a "third party" to protect themselves......Marlin gotta quit befor I REALLY get to going.... By the way thanks for saving this thread;).......Best reguards Kirk