Doctors in America are going broke? YES.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Jan 6, 2012.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

MJP28 is right...I worked ER as an RN for about 15 years after retirement...When I first started, I could have worked acute care (ICU, ER) in Houston on the weekends and made as much per hour as the ER MD were making at my hospital.....
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yes and malpractice insurance can vary "wildly" between location and speciality.
    Internal MD from $15,000 to $40,000 all are (+/-)
    Surgeon $30,000 to $75,000
    OB/GYN $50,000 to $200,000 or more.

Then the new regulations, paperwork, HIPPA, staff, equipment (freebies are way down), on and on.

About 20 years ago my "old" MD (about 45 years old and burned out, went to work for an ER place for a salary) sold his practice to my new MD and a friend, since then they've moved twice reorganized several times. (I'll guess expenses, taxes, etc.)

So hello India, Pakastan, Korea, Phillipino et. al. med students, come to America!
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I had both my hips replaced within the last 3 yrs. The first cost $75K and the second final bill ran $100K. The doc. who did me, only operated on Wed.'s when he had the hospital's entire operating room to himself. He does hips, knees and shoulders from 7AM to 7PM. The surgery takes between 2-2.5 hrs. Do the math. The other days of the week he does joint trauma surgery. Am I going to take up a collection for him, I think not!
  4. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When you boil it down to all the costs involved--hospital--nurses--meds at hosp--anesthesiologist ( serious bucks )-- three shifts of other doctors doing follow up at hosp, etc. His personal take drops way down.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Right, they crank the total cost WAY up to try to cover everything.

Still I'd love to see the "real" books someday.

BTW the hospital my wife works at went Chapter 7 bankruptcy, got bought out, working short there is real hell, DON'T GET SICK!

Many have gone under, shut ERs, the system is screwed up!!
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

A hunting buddy back east is a dentist. He once told me he had to do like 30 thousand in dental work every month to just cover his overhead, rental equipment, college loans, office rent, and that sweet young starlet he had for a secretary. It was the secretary that got most of it I do believe, ha ha; what a looker. Anyway he also said there were too many dentists and the only ones really making it were the ones that ran from chair to chair.

Yet the same dentist would always be showing me new guns he had just bought right in his office; quite funny to see the looks on his other office appointments, ha ha. He was my kind of dentist too.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

College loans (besides blonde secretaries) can be a killer, you can NOT bankrupt them away! They are on you like glue until you pay them off, some students go a bit wild in college and run them way up. Some do not understand bank and tax laws and refi themselves into more trouble. Plus tuitions are unreal.

Unless mommy & daddy pay the bill it can be steep. I worked my way through my undergrad....but it was $150 a quarter plus $5 parking -and- I had a good job. (And once I was in supervision my employer paid for my MBA, whew!)
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

SCREW THEM

GO see a Vet they are better docs anyways.

Think a Vet has to learn 10 times what a Human doc does in the same amount of time.
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

My best friend is a medical Doctor and he does not make real good at all. His practice turns about $150,000 a year profit for him, but that is before his medical malpractice insurance is paid. Last year, his premium was over $70K. He went to college 12 years to work 12 hours a day five days a week, 4 hours on Saturday, and make $80K per year?
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

When I had my shoulder surgery, the Dr. and Hospital bill together were over $27,000. When the Insurance company actually adjusted the bill, the total the Dr. and hospital got was less than $5k. I think for what they did, the compensation they received was not that wonderful.
  11. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I had a good solid business in my country drugstore. The last few years the insurance companies had almost taken over. They dictated what I could charge and actually tried to get me to call doctors and ask them to change the drugs they prescribed. One actually tried to get me to sign a contract to provide drugs for average wholesale price less 10% with NO fee for my services.. One of my closest friends had to drive 50 miles to find a store stupid enough to sign up with his insurance. I sold out and retired. Finally had to relinguish my license because people kept wanting me to work part time to fill in for them. I could not afford the malpractice insurance and continuing education to just do part time work. Glad I don't have to deal with government agencies and insurance companies anymore
  12. navis128

navis128 New Member

If it gets too much for them, they can always join the Peace Corps (pronounced Core :)). Go to a third world country for a couple years and have their student loan debt "forgiven"...that's just spin for the tax payers will pick it up...
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Ya know MJP, we got two kids in school right now, and they ain't geniuses so no scholarships but you do what you got to to get them through. Our son is costing 2 thou a month once you add in all it's costing and no loans whatsoever; and we'd rather do it that way and stay broke for a few years. Our daughter gets some help as she was born deaf but still a little over 1000/month. We've been living like paupers for the 3rd year now, but what can ya do?

Here in Alaska, they are attempting to start a state sponsored med school to help provide medical staff in rural areas.

My nephew is a PJ in AF AK guard para-rescue. They have all kinds of programs that awards a license so people can work in medical field, write scripts, treat people at clinics ect. Not a doctor with 8 years of school under their belt, but where medical support from military can cross train to work in civilian facilities. I think he said it only takes 2 years for him to complete but it's supposed to be quite tough program. He told me if he ever gets tired of flying in blk hawks, he might apply. I told him, that he gets sent to afghan every summer, and they have him even going to Somalia in 2013. Sooner or later getting shot at now and then and dealing with a wife and family will make that lifestyle not so appealing. Told him he should enter that program.
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Zhurh,

That sounds like quite a load, good luck to you on that!

On the need for medical care is everywhere even if you're an EMT or PA or whatever, nothing wrong with that. School costs, hospital costs and a whole lot more got way out of hand in our country.

My parents had 5 boys, I paid my way but they shelled out a lot on the other four. I don't know how kids on their own do it without a big student loan bill when they're done.

Good luck to you and them. ;)
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Wow that's some story (x how many more?). How in the world do we get things back in line?

A lot of kids...and older people...are going back into skilled trades, working with their hands rather than "spend or waste" 4+ years in college, then grad school.

I'm glad I'm done with all of that, funny thing I actually loved school, college and always had great jobs. My wife works part time in a hospital, with 36 years too young to retire, can't quit, hates working short everyday.......C'MON LOTTO! :eek: