The Firearms Forum banner

Does a lighter pistol trigger ensure a smoother trigger pull?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bally 
#1 ·
Hello,

My very post on this thread. I am technologically incompetent with guns, and so I thought it may be appropriate to ask this question here, and apologies if this question had been asked before (but I did try searching some variations of this question in this forum to no success).

I seem to be experiencing a frustrating problem with my pistol in that it has been observed that I have a "distinct snap" at the end of my trigger pull. It's been noted numerous times by anyone who observes me that I snap the trigger or pull the trigger way too quickly which someone had mentioned that the barrel of my gun dips below just before shooting (but I must be doing this subconsciously as I really do try to pull the trigger slowly!) Now, it has been brought to my attention that praticisng some dry firing would help with my problem, but I just recently learned that replacing the trigger of my pistol with a lighter one would help eliminate the trigger snaps altogether. I was wondering if there is any truth to this fact? I believe my current trigger is either 8 or 12 lbs and when I try pulling it slowly and observe the hammer, it seems like I am not pulling it back smoothly but rather in a clunky kind of manner.

Essentially, would a lighter trigger help ensure a smoother, slower trigger squeeze and elimiante trigger snaps? Should I keep with the current trigger and get a trigger finger exercise tool to strengthen my finger (if that is the problem)? Are there any other items out there that would help overcome trigger snaps?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Make little plug for the end of the barrel that you can balance a coin on, when you snap the trigger the coin falls off, when you pull slow and steady, the coin stays. Simple thing to make, but it will only help with a portion of training yourself on a consistent pull. What kind of pistol do you have?

#4 ·
Shooter, thank you for response. I heard someone mention that suggestion before! I'll try to unanticipate (if that's a word) the recoil and focus on aligning the sights and have the recoil "surprise" me. It seems easier said than done, but i'll try my best!

NPgunsmith, I heard that suggestion too about placing a dime on the on the top of the gun, I thought it was something goofy to do but now I'll definitely look into that. The pistol is a Smith and Wesson 5946!

#5 ·
The US Army uses that coin trick for proper trigger pull on the M16A2 (At least they did when I was in) so I'm pretty sure it will work similarly with a pistol, but like I said that only helps with a portion. There is a corrective target here in the forum that someone posted that you could always print out that will help you as well. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/correction-target.108801/

#6 ·
Welcome to TFF! Trigger control is the most important part of shooting well. If you can't solve the problem on your own, get some help from an instructor.

#8 ·
If not anticipating the recoil, he may be "yanking" the trigger trying to catch when the sights are aligned with the target. (I know all about this..:oops:)
The idea is to start the pull and apply more pressure only when the sights are aligned. If the sight pattern drifts off, stop the pressure, but don't ease off. When back on, apply more pressure. Sooner of later, the round will fire. If you've done it right it should be a bit of a surprise and you will have hit as accurately as you gun is capable of.

#9 ·
In my opinion.....OPINION..... Smith autos generally do not have great triggers. I would have to say get a decent .22 pistol and learn to shoot it and then work on the larger cal pistols.
I agree with the above, but I feel that a .22 can teach the basics of marksmanship better than any other caliber gun.
You need to learn muscle control and practice as often as possible.

#10 ·
Welcome Jack. Don't loose faith and hang in there. You are not the only person that has had problems with jerking the trigger or flinching. After thousands and thousands of rounds fired I find I can easily slip back into bad habits. As others have suggested trigger time and proper trigger control will get you where you want to go. That double action only pistol you have may not be the best choice to learn on but you can do it. Lots of dry fire practice will help you tremendously. You might want to pick up some "snap caps" which are dummy cartridges made specifically for dry fire practice and they will help from damaging the firing pin. I still spend a lot of time with a snap cap in the breach and sit in front of the TV firing away at the bad guys. It helps so give it a try.

I doubt you need any modifications to your pistol.

#11 ·
Thank you guys for your help. Trust me, if I had the chance, I would gone with another pistol, but this pistol is the only one we are being trained with for my organization! I seem to have gotten away with my snaps/quick pulls with targets that are 15 meters away (I almost average around 75+% accuracy within around the center of the target) but when it comes to 25 meters I am absolutely ATROCIOUS and average to around 28% if I'm lucky... hence why I want to address the frusturating snapping problem! Thanks for all the suggestions, they are all duly noted.

#13 ·
on a revolver, spin the cylinder before each shot, starting with at least one empty casing in the gun. for autos, get some snapcaps or load some dummy rds. mix them with live ammo in your range hat, then load the mags with your eyes shut. when you hit a "dud", watch your front sight. put a dime atop your front sight, it should stay there with each drysnap. also, you can have a friend turn his back, and rack the slide, not letting you see if he had the mag down out of position and then hold the mag catch over, so you don't hear it pop. then hand the gun to you and you won't know if the chamber is loaded or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.