Does A Pardon Restore Firearms Rights ?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yes, they should. Why not? If you're pardoned, doesn't that make you innocent?
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

no, it means you've been forgiven. a "not guilty" verdict says you're innocent. but still i agree, do the crime, do the time, then life as normal.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    IMHO, once a man/woman has served the time the courts dicated, and has completed his time of probation, then all rights should be restored. Pardon, or no pardon. If the offender is pardoned at a later date, then his record should be expunged.
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

not sure I agree with that idea...IE..home robbery ..homeowner gets shot, wife pistol whipped,raped. suspect caught gets 30 yrs..out with good behaviour in 5 yrs, serves 3 addionial yrs under probation. time served right? under your thought, he can now legaly own and buy, sell guns?? so lets say this suspect was 18 when crime is committed hes now 26-27? a hardened criminal from the state prison system, no job, (in this economy anyways) and needs money. a past habit..robbery is very attractive at this time and you have made it easier for him! remember all his prision buddies probably showed him all the ways he went wrong on the crime he got caught on..so he has learned better ways to do the crime as well as many others.

Me, I would rather have him not get his rights to gun ownership back. just my 2 cents.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

I hear ya! I should have included the standard non-violent criminal status clause. My mistake! I don't think that violent criminals should get any rights restored! The case in point here was a drug conviction, and not a violent crime case. Tunnel vision on my part.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

I don't know about you, but in the case you have discribed, I might be out for some justice of my own, cause the bad guy sure didn't get any punishment for his crimes in you scenario! He might wish that he had done the whole 30 years!
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Carver, the serinio except for the rights restored has happened in N.C. to my knowlege. and as for justice of your own?? well if you feel the court had the right to set punishment as indicated then "getting" some of your own would place you in the same catagory as the perp. I personally dont agree with the sentance as it came down and feel much as you suggest..but I will abide by the law and wait and see..after all I believe what goes around comes around.....

the best way to change the way these things are delt with is becomming active in the political scene. I see you have already made that connection somewhere. that is good to know! One day maybe we have a chance to right a few wrongs in our country in the manner our forefathers intended..its a hope I keep close..its what made us the greatest country in the world as we know it..and what hopefully will keep us strong! that and some good PRAYERS to the one who makes all things possible!