Does any CCW holders have insurance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bulls I, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Bulls I

Bulls I New Member

... in case you have to defend yourself from a lawsuit from stopping a threat? If so, what and how much?
  2. Carl S

Carl S New Member

I don't have any insurance for concealed carry; but I do have the name of an attorney who is knowledgable of firearms and firearms law. Florida law is pretty clear on the use of lethal force in self defense and/or the defense of others. Im most counties, the States Attorneys (Prosecuting Attorneys) are pro self defense - the exceptions being Dade (Miami) and some of the other liberal southeast coast counties.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I believe that the Personal Liability portion of a Homeowner's Policy would cover any attack of that type provided the act was not CLEARLY an illegal act.

When I was with St. Paul many years ago we had some claims of that type and paid them.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Marlin, were these people in thier homes or out somewhwere? Or does it even matter?
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

As I recall we had one claim arising out of home or domocile defense and another arising out of an attempted car jacking.

I don't think it would make any difference where if the loss were one of a personal nature, which is the liability protection provided on the Homeowner's policy.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Thanks, Marlin. Just wasn't sure about that, so I had to ask.
  7. Shamus

Shamus New Member

I just finished part 2 of a 3 part training for NRA Pistol certification today. We spent some time talkin about Liability issues for Trainers as well as CCW holders.

The 2 Atty's we've talked to stress that everyone had better know the law, what to do and what to say if a round is fired.

Bottom line is pretty much what my ol buddy the Chief LEO told me a while back regarding a business. "When (not if) you are robbed don't call me till they are finished. I don't want no bullet holes in the floor so if they ain't expired stand um up and try again. Then call me".

When a Leo fires a round they must justify 7 ways from Sunday why. The CCW holder is no different.

Most homeowners will cover you but I'd strongly suggest you contact them first. They may bail on you and I'd want to know that before the fact. Second, you can purchase liability insurance but it will run about $300/$400 a year.

Finally, lawsuits are after deep pockets, evaluate your net worth and decide what direction you want to go. In some situations no money is a good thing but ya still need to be 100% in the right.
  8. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

The bottom line is very clear. Liability insurance is not needed. I have the God given right to self defense in the pursuit of life and liberty, this includes my life and limb and that of my family.
    I have the right to blow clean off the head of any intruder who dares invade my home. This is an intergral right of self preservation as prescribed by God Almighty and the Constitution.
    I am sick and tired of rights being given to hooligan intruders and criminals. In the event that a liability suit is brought against me by an intruder and the political and Constitutional organizations that I belong to are not able to defend me against the forces of UN sponsored Global Bolshevism, I will get up in the court of law, address the judge and inform him that he has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution. If he declares me in contempt, I will then call him a traitor and call for his immediate impeachment before the Judical Review Board. If he puts me in jail for this, then I will lead a grassroots campaign from prison for his removal from the bench.
    There will be absolutely no compromise on the issue of the 2nd ammendment and the Constitution as a whole. None!
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2004