Does any one ever polish their leather shoes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I seldom wear a shoe that is not leather. One thing that I don't cut corners on is the quality of shoes and boots I wear. Statistics show that women have more foot problems then men and it is primarily due to the fact that women tend to buy cheaper shoes so they can have a larger wardrobe. On the flip side men normally don't have the bigger selection of shoes so therefore they tend to spend more on shoes so they will last longer.

Other then the shoes I wear at the gym, I only wear leather shoes. I wear them because they breath properly and I can keep them looking good. Typically every night I stop and polish my shoes. As a matter of fact I typically polish them while I am at my computer at the end of the day. I run my brush over them and when they need it I apply a little KIWI shoe polish on them, including my boots. Even on my days off I try to have nice looking shoes.

I notice that people don't wear leather shoes as much these days, and those that do don't seem to keep them polished so I was wondering, who polishes their leather shoes these days? It is interesting that some men don't even know how, but I am sure the old timers do. And, most of the time the old timers shoes look pretty good.

Also, when my holsters get a little worn, out comes the polish and the horse hair brush.

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I keep'em polished too, last longer and look better. And besides, what kinda Jarhead would I be with unpolished leathers??
  3. 76Highboy

Ya, a Jarhead, that's the word. But you? Your not a Jarhead. Heck no!!!
  4. woolleyworm

I'll have to dig out some of my bootcamp pics, got "Kerr" shaved all over my head by that barber :D

and I never got gigged for an unsat polish on my boots; I don't spit-shine them anymore, just enough to look decent and stay conditioned.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. 76Highboy

Post them.
  6. woolleyworm

:AR15firing:

I've no shame, I'll start digging and post some just for you Jim !
  7. 76Highboy

:D
  8. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

All I do is oil mine less I'm goin to someplace snazzy. I do have one of the old timers shoe shine kit and my wife has one also. I try to mink em once a month. Mainly to keep em softer and conditioned good also water proof. In the wastewater industry boots get put to the test.
  9. 76Highboy

Oiling them counts. Oiling leather takes care of them and they look good. Then, your ready to polish them when you need to.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

After 30 years in the Army, you gotta know I polish mine!
  11. 76Highboy

Ya, you military guys are the best at shining shoes. I admire that. I could not join the military because of my asthma so I am envious. Oh ya, and grateful for your service to our country.

:patriotic:
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

As soon as I Hit terminal leave I tossed my boot polishing kit and have never polished a boot or shoe ever again. I put sno-seal on my work boots and that was the extent of that.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

spent a lot of time keeping the jungle boots kiwi'd nice and shiny every day. Now it's all suede tan color leather boots, no polishing! kinda like it.

I polish my doc Martins (black ones, I use kiwi not the good stuff too) but all my other leather boots get snow-seal or a spray on techron waterproof coating...

I used to cheat for my 'starch and spits' uniform boots, I would get them decent with a buff brush and then hit them with a heavy coat of 'mop-n-glo', that crap makes them SHINY shiny shiny! course direct sunlight makes it melt and it looks like a dull candy bar after an hour in the sun... oops...
  14. m77user

m77user Active Member

I had the distinct privilege of working as an emergency hire for the Monatana Army National Guard while our troops were deployed to Iraq. I worked in the warehouse as a materials handler (shipper) along with some guardsmen who were not on deployment.

I had my haircut to military standards and spit shined my steel toe boots. I still have the boots and keep them shined. I met many good people during my time there, and made a few great friends.

Even though I miss the money I was making there was no happier day in recent memory than when the troops came home. Made me remember my time in the service many years ago.

Thank you all who have served and those who continue to serve.
  15. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

not since i became a PFC. That would be Privet,______,Cavilien. for the none milatary folk.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  16. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

does it count if I use a custom blend of engine oil, trans. fluid, and antifreeze? at work I am always getting some of each on mine.

I have been against the grain for quite a while by buying the cheap shoes from Walmart. I just havent been able to find anything I like and fits me. 15 years ago I had Knaap shoes but I think they are no longer in business.

when I was working for our uncle Sam I kept mine shined but never understood why. shiny boots don't make me a better soldier.
  17. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

tossed the kit and brushes long ago. never could iron my shirts correctly either
  18. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

One trick I use is lighting the Kiwi on fire, letting it melt, then blowing it out. Apply the hot polish to the leather, then buff it out.
  19. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Are you kidding ?
    I even polish my brass balls I got in Quantico !
  20. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I polish mine periodically, but the boots I wear nowdays make it difficult. They have what is called a "tiger tip" on the toes, which is three ridges of solid rubber to resist scratches and nicks of the leather.