Does any state have a "blackpowder" season....

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by polishshooter, Dec 5, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

...where blackpowder CARTRIDGE rifles are allowed?

I know you can use them during regular rifle seasons, but I always wondered with all the neat originals and repros like Dixie and others have, from Trapdoors, to Rolling Blocks, Highwalls, to even Spencers and Henry's and early Winchesters, I think it would be a cool thing to have...a special season for them....

Last year during the endless but unproductive debate Indiana has every year about finally allowing CF rifles, a gunshop owner I know (of so so credence!) said it was proposed, but tabled, to allow "Lever Action and Single-shot" rifles "originally designed for Black Powder Cartridges," whatever that means....he didn't know if the proposal, that didn't pass anyway, meant ONLY BP Cartridges, or any round, new or otherwise, in a MODEL that was DESIGNED originally for BP....according to him he interpreted it to mean even Model 94s and 336s in .30-30 would be legal....but I also took it with a grain of salt, since he has always been kind of a blow-hard and I did NOT hear it from any OTHER source, just that the state WAS considering CFs again, but didn't "reach a decision..." AGAIN...:mad:

But I always needed an excuse to buy a Single Shot .45-70, a trapper 94, or maybe one of the repro Spencers in .56-50, so I could even live with THAT...:p
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Down here in Mississippi you can use the H&R1871/New England Firearms
    The brand new ones in 45/70 / 500S&W / 44 Mag / 38/55
    The only requirements is that it is single shot and have an exposed hammer
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Mississippi has a Primitive Weapons season.
    http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/hunting_regs.asp

Here are the various hunting seasons in Mississippi:
    http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/hunting_limits.asp
  4. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

Florida has a "blackpowder season". It is in the fall, after the archery season and before the rifle season. I don't know exactly when, but it is over already.
  5. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

PA, has a muzzleloading season, but its only a week long
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Alabama has "muzzleloader" season for a week in November and three weeks in January in many counties.

Muzzleloader in Alabama is any black powder rifle .38 calibre or larger. There is no exception as to single shot with brass casing, as in Mississippi.....

In Mississippi, if the rifle is older than 1900 or a design mimicking earlier, and the calibre is above .40, you may use a cartridge, i.e., Winchester Single Shot 1885 in .45-70. Rifle must have a visible hammer but otherwise accepted as a muzzleloader during the special designated season.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Shadow, doesn't PA actually have TWO muzzleloading seasons? One for any, and one later for only Flintlocks?
  8. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

Southwest Virginia's season's are typically as follows:

Archery - October-ish
    Muzzleloader - Two weeks before thanksgiving lasting 1 week
    Firearms - Week before thanksgiving through thanksgiving week
    Late Muzzleloader - Lasts week or 2
    Late Archery - Lasts couple weeks