Does Anybody Know If It's Legal

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by hogger129, Sep 22, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

To shoot a home invader in the state of Wisconsin? I have heard something that you can only respond with equal force, while I have also heard that you can only shoot the invader if there is a credible threat to your life? Who is right? What does the law say?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

dunno man. i know in KY i can shoot a home invader no matter the circumstance
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I can't answer that because it depends on state law. The best way to learn that is to take a ccw class. I know your question isn't about ccw but they cover all the legal aspects of gun ownership and use.

In Ohio you have a right to use deadly force ONLY when in fear of serious bodily injury or death to yourself or another. Just because someone breaks in doesn't mean they mean to do you harm. You can establish intent by telling them to stop. If they keep coming toward you with a 12 ga pointed at them, you can pretty much assume they didn't drop by for tea. The thing is, in your own home, there's an intruder, and there's you. You say you felt threatened, there'll be nobody around to dispute that. case closed.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Does Wisconsin have castle law doctrine?
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, it's never really legal to shoot anyone. You would be detained until there is adequate proof that your life was in danger, in any situation.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

What i wanna know is it legal to violate the intruder "Before or After" ya shoot them?? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you weren't threatened and did not feel your life or anybody eles's life was in jeopardy was in danger do not shoot. The DA will not care if he was going out the door with your Grandmothers jewelry and your brand new plasma screen TV. A bullet hole in his back will put you in prison.
    There is no castle law in Wisconsin, it was up for a vote in 2007 but it failed.
  9. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Regardless of the law, if my life were in imminent danger, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

That's the key right there. Only you can decide at which point your life is in danger and you take action accordingly. You will face the consequences later, but if you felt it was the right thing to do at the time, the basic legality of it means nothing to you at that moment.

I don't think there is a single person on this forum that would not defend themselves if their life was in danger, regardless of the laws.
  11. zb338

zb338 New Member

The Folks are all right. So after you shoot an
    attacker make sure you provide him with a lethal
    weapon. Just kidding guys.
    Zeke
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  12. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

Which brings up another point... people should not avoid doing civil service and get out of Jury Duty...

Who knows what trial you might be appointed to?
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

yep, jury duty, if called upon is an important civil duty. i served the beginning of this year.
  14. q1111

q1111 Former Guest

q1111

Adding aerosols to the upper atmosphere could modify the chemistry of the upper atmosphere, affecting ozone and thereby having possible unintended impacts on the lower atmosphere.

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Re: q1111

Go away moron.