The Firearms Forum banner

Does anyone know anything about this pistol?

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
The only marking on this pistol is D.R.P.a. Please look at the pictures and help me identify the pistol.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's German. Most likely a prototype.

D.R.P.a. stands for “Deutsches Reich angemeldet” (German patent applied for).

My guess is a single-shot 22, probably a 22 Short. That thingy with the checking is the breech block. It slides back - the slot on the side with the screw is how it slides - and there is a firing pin in the block, that the hammer hits.

How'd I do?

#4 ·
D.R.P.a is German for "Patent Applied For". The other mark is some form of a monogram that I can't find in my references,
The gun is obviously home made/shop made. It could be a patent model of some sort. It may be just demonstrating some function that the maker wanted to patent or it may be a complete firearm.

Interesting! Any guess what it is chambered for?

#6 ·
It's German. Most likely a prototype.

D.R.P.a. stands for "Deutsches Reich angemeldet" (German patent applied for).

My guess is a single-shot 22, probably a 22 Short. That thingy with the checking is the breech block. It slides back - the slot on the side with the screw is how it slides - and there is a firing pin in the block, that the hammer hits.

How'd I do?
Great thanks! The gun is chambered for less than a 22 cal. Any idea if it is worth anything?

#9 ·
#12 ·
I'm wondering if the comment "less than a 22" does not mean that the bore diameter is smaller than 22, but that he tried a 22 shell and it won't chamber. Maybe it's in 6mm Flobert, which would have a chamber too short for even a 22 Short to enter.

#13 ·
Alpo,

Those are some itty bitty bullets for sure. I'm always amazed at what crazy things are out there. The more time I spend on TFF the more a realize how little I actually know.

Reactions: gvw3
#15 ·
Picture #2 seems to show that the barrel is rifled, which would be needless in a gas gun. And the lower "barrel" has a screw in it.

#16 ·
The bore is about the size of a BB with rifling. The lower what you thought is another barrel is where the spring is located. This is a single shot manual loading pistol with a locking slide you pull back to insert the bullet into the chamber. The pistol is palm size. I will take some new pictures next to a tape measure to show size.

#22 ·
It seems to be collectable. I found this:

http://forums.*********.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=160724

The 2.7 Kolibri is the smallest commercially manufactured centerfire pistol cartridge. It was used in the Kolibri semi-auto pistol (also a midget) introducted in 1914. There was also a single shot parlor-type pistol chambered it. The pistol is of conventional blowback design. The pistol was also manufactured in 3 mm Kolibri as well and these are probably rarer than the 2.7 mm. Both pistol and cartridge have been obsolete for many years and both are collector's items.

The cartridge that is fired in this pistol is tiny ! You really have to see one to put how small it is into context. 2.7 mm is about 0.105 inches diameter and the cartridge is no more than about 0.5 inches. Collectors keep them in larger tubes so they will not be lost.

The actual ballistics for these are unknown, but have been estimated to be about 650 fps velocity and about 3 ft-lb of energy. The literature says the bullet could penetrate about 1.5 inches of pine. So while not necessarily fatal if shot, it could ruin your day. you can't hunt anything with this outfit except a palmetto bug.

I have one 2.7mm Kolibri cartridge in my collection. They are hard as hell to find and are very costly. I got mine several years ago at an auction and paid more than the going rate in order to get my hands on one. I think that they are now probably about $70.00 to $90.00 for a single cartridge if you can find one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.