The Firearms Forum banner

Does anyone know if they make a 223 55gr bulletcastingmolds

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike57 
#1 ·
Do they make a 223 boat tail bulletmolds?

#6 ·
Gas checking a boat-tail would serve no purpose. Cast bullets need to obturate to some degree to minimize flame cutting the sides of the bullet. A gas checked boat-tail would allow the flame to travel around the base and cause alloy melting and deposit it on/in the bore causing severe leading.

#5 ·
Lyman makes a mold that throws a 55 grain bullet http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=38
The product description notes that the bullet is suitable for practice in .223's when hard cast and gas checked. The sizer die is also available from Lyman but the bullet must be lubed by hand.
I have not cast .223 bullets but I have cast and shot lead bullets for many years. Based on my experience I would guess that developing a suitable load (one that would not lead foul your barrel) with this bullet would require a lot of time working to attain the necessary bullet hardness. I'm a serious caster and I enjoy casting but, I don't think the time invested to develop this loading would be worthwhile compared to the cost of jacketed bullets (available at Midway for .08 cents/bullet in bulk). Others may disagree.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.