Does anyone trim pistol cases?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jdon72, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have heard that it is not necessary. But just thinking about it, the brass still expands and contracts and has to lengthen the cases. I have not in the past and I reload for 10mm and 45acp. Any input???
  2. res45

res45 Member

In most cases you don't need to trim brass that uses a taper crimp in semi auto pistols like 9mm,40 ,45 etc. you will probably loose them or wear them out before they need trimming. As long as the case is within spec. I wouldn't worry about it.

About the only pistol brass I trim is my 357 mag. brass that I load cast bullets in the bullets have a very narrow crimp groove,I trim those on occasion so I get a nice even roll crimp in the exact same spot from case to case.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

I trim brass once when I get it, and measure a few after firing. Rarely do I need to retrim (45 ACP, 9mm, 38/357, 44 Spec/Mag.). Since the 45 headspaces on the mouth, I insure that the mouth is square when I get them, and usuall don't need to bother after that.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

in a quarter million rounds over 40 odd years of reloading i have trimmed

none

----15 or so different calibers
    failure of a round to chamber due case length--0-
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

6. miestro_jerry

miestro_jerry New Member

I do 38 Special, Once and never after that.

Jerry
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

semi-auto brass:
    I'll trim it the first time I load it just to make sure it's in spec (it usually is) so I get the correct headspacing.
    Haven't had to trim any afterwards.

Revolver brass:
    I trim them the first time to make sure I've got consistent case length for crimping. About the only ones that I have had to trim up in subsequent reloads were high-pressure magnums (.357 and .32 H&R). Unless you've got a really loose chamber...usually if they're stretching enough to trim they're gonna be splitting, so most of the time I will just use that as an indicator to start thinking about culling that batch.
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Ok guys...thanks for the reinsurance of NOT trimming. I have not trimmed, but I may check for length periodically.

J
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My methods exactly. I wore a Lee trimmer out doing .45ACP range pick ups...
  10. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Pistol brass doesn't stretch like a rifle case will due to the shoulder. Straight cases very rarely need trimming, I've actually seen some of my .40 cases grow shorter after firing/sizing.
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

good to know...thanks guys
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    JDON72,YOU WILL FIND OUT MORE DIFFERENT ANSWERS FOR MORE DIFFERENT THINGS THAN ANYTHING.I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT,THEY ARE RIGHT,AS IS EVERYBODY AHEAD OF ME.HOWEVER,I HAVE A THEORY,I SHOOT TACTICAL A LOT SO I AM A LITTLE ANAL ON THIS.I CHK EVERY CASE USING A LEE TRIMMER IN A DRILL,IF THEY NEED TRIMMING THEY WILL BE TRIMMED IF NOT THEN NOT.TO ME RELOADING IS LIKE TACTICAL SHOOTING,YOU MUST DO THE SAME THING EVERY TIME,TRIGGER PULL,FIT OF THE GUN ON SHOULDER,BREATHING,WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FINGER ON TRIGGER ALL MUST STAY THE SAME.I EXPECT ANY OF MY TACTICAL RIFLES TO SHOOT LESS THAN ONE INCH AT 100 YARDS AND UNLESS I DO EVERYTHING RIGHT THEY WONT.THESE GUYS ARE NOT WRONG,ITS JUST ME AND MY WAYS,ILL BACK MY AMMO AGAINST ANY FACTORY STUFF.IM SHUTTUNG UP,ENJOY YOUR NEW HOBBY OLD SEMPERFI
  13. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Old semperfi,

You are correct to say that. You will not doubt any of your rounds when and if you are in combat. I do not like to skip a step, but if it never needs to be done, then why do the work. In your position, I would double check everything as well, but since this is mostly range rounds for pistol...no big deal if one is tooo long.

Input is always appreciated.

Jeff
  14. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

I only trimmed rifle cases, not pistol......................
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

thanks john for the input....seems like everyone does not worry about the pistol cartridges.

J