Does keeping magazines loaded damage them?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CCHolderinMaine, Aug 2, 2012.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Simple question, I've gotten a ton of different answers where ever I ask...does keeping your magazines loaded damage them in any way? I've had people say it can damage the spring by keeping it compressed for a prolonged time. I'm talking personally I might go a few months, but what if it were a year? or more? Is there a point of a possible problem?
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They'll go 50 years and more without damage. Constant use does more harm that storing loaded.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I have magazines that have been fully loaded for 35+ years. They work fine.
  4. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I agree, the constant use does more to wear them out than storage. But also, keep in mind that cheap mags usually have cheap springs, so they will usually wear out quickest and are more subject to memory from staying compressed. Buy good mags, or at least replace cheap springs with good ones, and you should always be ok.
  5. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I've had some that have damaged the magazine and some that worked fine.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I used to be paranoid about rotating magazines so they wouldn't 'lose their set' or whatever but beginning to think it's almost a non-issue. I found ammo cans once with loose 5.56 M4 mags loaded up that had been sitting for over a year fully loaded and they all functioned fine when I burned 'em off.

kinda lazy with rotating mags lately, I've had some of my FAL and M1A mags sitting for sometimes 6 months at a time and no problems feeding when I blast them.

even if a mag does lose its 'oomf', there are plenty of cheap replacement springs!
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I found an AK mag the other day I forgot I had and I know its probably been loaded for 15 plus years and seem to be fine,like I could add more to it if I had too.
  8. skullfr

skullfr New Member

it is the cylcling that wears em out but I keep one less round so it wont be fully compressed.