The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does lower Serial Number on WW1 Colt 1911 mean higher value?

Tags
14K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  TheGunClinger 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Great site,just found this morning.So,I have a fellow that wants to sell/trade me an original WWI Colt 1911.I'm new at collecting thses and he says its a very rare gun with the serial number being 1944...I have yet to travel to see it,over 2 hrs away,but from the photos it looks ligit...My question is does having the low serial number make this a $5K gun as opposed to a $1000-$2000 gun?
Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
Are you saying it is 1,944,XXX as in 1 million 9 hundred 44 thousand? If so it adds no value. 1944 by itself would be a very early gun and have a premium value. To be 5000 dollars it had better be new in the original box or carton. Even if perfect a 1 million range gun would not come close to 5000.

#3 ·
Are you saying it is 1,944,XXX as in 1 million 9 hundred 44 thousand? If so it adds no value. 1944 by itself would be a very early gun and have a premium value. To be 5000 dollars it had better be new in the original box or carton. Even if perfect a 1 million range gun would not come close to 5000.
THANKS for reply...
NO..not in millions...number on side of gun is NO1944 and doesnt appear to have been newly stamped or tampered with.

#5 ·
This is one of those times that Pics are needed to give you any idea of value or actual age of this Colt.
For example, my early Colt 1911 is marked C7000 made in 1914 or 1915 and that is worth $5000.

So before use spend your hard earned cash, make sure you know what you are buying.

#7 ·
IF everything is kosher it probably is worth that. Serial #1944 is first year production (1912) and was one of a batch of 500 made for the US Navy. Whether or not it would be marked USN I don't know.
There were a total of 7000 M1911 made for the Navy in 1912.
Need good clear picture of all the various markings and any flaws in the condition.

#9 ·
THANKS Deadin..!
I'll have to ask him about the USN...but what your saying is they made them with and without the USN and both have the same value? I guess I just need to go see it and make the 2 hr drive.Any pointers?? From my little knowledge I know the bore should not be pitted and finish should be original .... all serial numbers matching...any other markings to verify it?
Thanks for your time and knowledge.

#8 ·
From what I can see, it looks good.
But please remember that I am looking at a picture and cannot see all the details .
Its time for you to take it to an appraiser to make sure it is all original and hasn't been repaired, reblued, faked or played with .

#14 ·
Thought of that,and seeing that he will have to come down here anyway to check out the car,really no need for ME to do the traveling,alot easier to bring gun down here.I would tell him BEFORE he comes I want to have it checked out,if he says no,then no need for him to come down,its a fake.. :)...Would be just like telling him he CANT have the car checked out.Sure hope it all works out,really like the gun,seems like a pretty solid investment if I ever had to sell,and really want the car (1971 VW) gone.

#15 ·
Most LGS's won't have the expertise to certify whether an original M1911 made in 1912 is correct or not. You are going to need the services of an expert in this field. (Especially if you are talking about 4 or 5 K dollars.) and most true experts are not going to offer an opinion without actually seeing the gun. You can try getting a batch of very clear pictures for appraisal, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Where are you located? Maybe there is someone in your area that could help.

#16 ·
OK..was gonna ask what LGS meant,but didnt want to sound like a TOTAL novice..and assumed it was Legal Gun Shop.. :) LOL..so,what is a LGS ? I'm in the Seattle,Wa. & Portland,Or. area...How do you find one? I appreciate all the info you guys have given me.

#18 ·
:) Gee,I'm not as dumb as I look.. :) OK..well we have a few where I live,and one of my business accounts sells guns at gun shows...not a total expert and maybe not for a 5K gun,but he is an older guy thats been dealing guns for years and would at least beable to spot outright flaws,etc...so was gonna have him look at it first,then over to a LGS :) to see what they say.

#19 ·
Agree. Local gun show people might not be able to verify the originality of the finish on the gun.
Few things to look for in an early gun:
Finish should be a very glossy mirror-like finish that probably had acquired numerous small scratches all over.
All the edges should be crisp with clearly pronounced chamfers on the front vertical edges of the slide.
All the lettering should be crisp with no parts of the letters missing.
The Colt pony on the left side should be crisp and incircled with no parts of the pony or the circle missing.
Small parts: safety lever, trigger and the slide stop should be fireblued!
Having looked at the picture you provided(although very dark), I don't believe the gun has an original finish..
Also, the serial number appears to be in the wrong spot for an early gun.

#20 ·
WOW,thanks for all the info.I attached another photo which he sent me,more close up.What would it being refinished mean as far as value or collectability? One thing I noticed it the NO in the serial # has a large O as opposed to a smaller O with a line under it,that I have seen on some other 1911's?
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

Attachments

#21 ·
My 1911 has the Model of 1911.U.S.Army all on the same line. There is no caliber marking on it and on the left side of the frame it's marked United States Property.

Couldn't tell from the pics.....does yours have the lanyard loop on the mainsprinh housing?

#23 ·
The gun looks good but the holster and ammo are WWII. You need an excellent 1911 book and about an hour or two to check each part for originality . Parts from a gun made yesterday will go right in that gun so you can imagine all the possibilities. I think the magazine is wrong and the correct early magazine aside from being impossible to find may set you back 500.00. These guns are just too valuable and detailed to properly appraise on the web Hands on experienced people are needed if you yourself are no knowledgeable in this field. .

#24 ·
Also, the serial number appears to be in the wrong spot for an early gun.
This is correct. It should be forward on the frame, pretty much directly below the "Of 1911" on the slide. Also the large "O" in NO is wrong, it should be a small "o". The underline didn't start until after serial 4500 or so, but was still forward on the frame. It moved behind the slide stop at serial 7501. Another thing to check is where the "United States Property" mark is. From serial 1 to around 500,000 it was on the left side of the frame. After that it was moved to the right side just above the serial.

All in all, there's something fishy about this gun. I would be very careful before I put any money into it.

#25 ·
I'm not an expert on anything, but the stamping of the serial just looks kind of "hinky" to me. and every one I have ever seen did have that "model of 1911" and "US Army caliber .45" on the same line. I would kinda like to see a picture of the other side, too.

#28 ·
You guys are the BEST,,,!!! Thanks for the info.....and I totally agree....but maybe for different reasons...if this makes any sense and can maybe save another from a big loss....pretty simple.if it sounds too good to be true it is..!! Being in the Antiques and Collectable,Wheeler ,Dealer field for more than 30 years..there was a red flag that this person wanted to trade me a 5K gun for a 3.5K car.....a real 5K gun is like $$ in the bank...a total investment that can be sold anytime,anyplace for 5K +++...no need to try to swap for a 3.5K car.....so before I even got on this site there were flags..but not being an expert in guns or colts,wanted to see what you guys thought..and as I thought..too good to be true......I think this guy got scamed for maybe 3K ++ and was trying to pass the loss onto me.....
AGAIN...thanks so much for you guys that helped me out..@@!!!!
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.