1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Does new primed brass need to be resized?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by elkslayer4x5, Sep 7, 2012.

1. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

I posted this question over on another gun/reloadong forum, but got inclusive awnsers, so thought I see what you fellas think.
    While reading the basics of reloading in the Lyman 49th, I read a statemant that I should resize new brass, does that apply to new primed brass as well?
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yes, I would for sure. Even if it's only a tiny difference. If it's primed, only thing you do different is remove the decapping device.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:yeahthat: It certainly doesn't hurt.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

New primed brass should be sized already......
    did the package not say??
    This is why I don't buy it like that.......
    don't know what you have.....
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Take some measurements. If it's not 100% right, then resize it.

I don't know for sure; I've never bought new brass.
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

All the brass available today is mass produce by the millions on machines. If you trust the machines and inspectors to always produce cases that are within spec., then just load 'em up. I just measure a few new cases from each group I buy and usually don't need to size and if one is way off, I usually catch it when visually inspecting prior to loading...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

new brass needs to be sized and trimmed. I have loaded it right out of the package but only because I needed fireformed brass and was gonna be trimming it again anyway. But i should have sized and trimmed it beforehand.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I never understood the primed brass thing in the first place? why would you even want primed brass, I like to know what I'm using and do it myself, it's such a non-time consuming step, it's just never appealed to me. But even if it claims it's ready to go, I don't trust anyone but me so I'm gonna take the extra step and run it through the resizer die even if it doesn't contact just to ensure my bullets will seat correctly.

seems common with new shotgun hulls too, lots of primed hulls for sale.

new brass is nice though, I buy new .357 brass, usually winchester or starline, as .357 ammo cost is thru the roof along with everything else.

.40 and .45 I just scrounge and buy in bulk once fired as I shoot so much of it. one good trip thru the tumbler and it looks plenty good enough.
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

10. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Always resize your brass, new or old. Otherwise you can end up with brass loaded with primer and powder and when you insert the bullet it just falls into the case.If your going to reload, don't try to cut corners. It's a risky bussiness to start with. Be safe
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, every one who posted may very well be right, I will add I have used both new unprimed brass and new primed brass, loaded it right out of the box. never had any problem with the bullet falling through or any of it being under sized or over sized. Just my experience. I did this when i was starting out and did not have a supply of brass on hand and I would not hesitate to do so again. Again just my experience.:) When you get a new box of bullets do you mike each one to insure that they are the right size and not under or over sized?
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes.

I weight sort them too.

I also weight sort my rifle brass and hand weigh all my charges for my rifles too.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. cutter

cutter New Member

On bottle neck brass (and straight wall) I have seen the tops bent in due to shipping and handling. I always resize all of my brass.
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes you should resize all new brass even if it is primed. I compared new resized brass and just factory resized and the difference is noticeable. When you take the time to resize it the bullet fits more snug in the case. Try it for yourself and you will see. The factory brass will allow the bullet to be seated much easier then the brass that you take the time to resize. The sizing difference will have an affect on accuracy.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's actually quite simple. It's not the time (at least not for me). It's the money.

If I buy 500 pieces of new brass, and 500 primers to go with them, I have to pay haz-mat of 25 dollars on those 500 primers. If, however, I buy 500 rounds of primed brass, there is no haz-mat fee. 25 dollar savings.