1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Does new primed brass need to be resized?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by elkslayer4x5, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and 1K primers is less than 50 bucks still. so it makes 0 sense to buy primed brass.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya I agree. 1000 primers cost $29.00. I have never ordered primers through the mail so have never paid Hazmat. I think the Hazmat fee is stupid. Oh wait, it's a government mandated fee. Oh, that makes sense. :bleh:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No it's not. UPS dreamed it up, and when FedEx saw that the moronic public paid it, they started charging it too. Was 3 bucks, went to 4, then 5, then 7, then 10, 13, 15, 20 and now it's 25.

Just one more way for Big Brown to screw the customer. Like "Pistols have to go next day air". Lots of folks think that's government madated. Nope. All UPS's idea.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

that's right, I forgot about the glitch; somehow primers are super safe when they're in a piece of brass or hull and don't get dinged with the hazmat fee. But then ya only get one firing and will need to buy primers anyway. But done in the right quantity, you can surely save some $$ at least the first time.

I spot check weight on rifle bullets, rifle brass and usually will weight every single powder charge. For hunting loads, I weight and sort every single component (OK, not the primer) But shotgun or pistol and it gets slammed thru the progressive and goes from the box thru my barrel without a second glance. I've found 9mm bullets in boxes of .40 and FMJ's in boxes of JHP bullets, etc but the size is always consistent enough to be safe at least.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I did not know that, I was just smarting off. But, if you don't mind I would like to just flat out blame Obama for it if that's OK. It just feels right.:D
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I only have one experience with new pre-primed brass and that was because it was on clearance, .45acp nickel plated for .07 ea. That was too good to pass up. I checked all measurements on it and it did not need sized; I loaded it up just fine. I would use pre-primed brass again if the price was right.

All the new unprimed brass get resized, I don't even bother to check any other dimension other than OAL. Most manufacturers state on the packaging that it needs sized.
  7. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Isn't it the government that gives the class and test for anybody that wants to become a hazmat shipper?
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Well, it's up to $27.50 now, I just paid that last night!!
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, the government is the ones that came up with "hazardous materials", and decided that THIS is safe and THAT is hazardous and THE OTHER THING is dangerous.

And, yes, the government is the ones that decided the rules on how "hazardous materials" get shipped and the special training, etc., that is needed to be a "hazardous materials shipper".

But they didn't say, "Oh, and you have to pay extra for that". That was UPS' idea.

Just like the government said that I have to ship my pistol "common carrier" (which means, for all practical purposes, UPS or FedEx, because either none of the other "common carriers" will take it, or they will not insure it), but UPS is the one that said I must pay 75 to a hundred dollars to ship it, because it MUST GO next-day air.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I aint ever had that problem. I mostly use Fed-Ex. and shipping a handgun has always gone std ground with bunches of insurance.

Heck i refinished Hogger129s springfield for him and the FFL that he sent it to me thru shipped it UPS ground with 200 dollars insurance. I returned it Fed-Ex ground with 1200 dollars insurance and spent about 36 bucks.
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Never meet a piece of new brass that didn't need the case mouth at least straightened out some. Lube it up take the decapping pin out and resize the brass. Do you trust some one else with your reloading?
  12. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

I asked this question because I was given a partial bag of new primed Winchester brass, around 40 cases in all, some had small dings in the necks, I removed the decapping pin and neck sized them, loaded them, and they all chamber in my Win M 70.
  13. dammitman

dammitman Member

is it ok to mail every part of a gun except the part with the serial number? and if so, why can i mail a gun to say Ruger for repairs and i think they can mail it back to me or is that wrong?
  14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

FedEx and UPS require all handguns be shipped Next day Air. USPS will ship a Handgun if the sender is FFL.

Don't know what the penalties are if you get caught, hope you don't find out one day.
  15. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

What are some of the Government imposed special handling procedures required by Hazardous Material shippers?

What ever they are, I'm sure they cost the shipper money, like all Government imposed regulations and restrictions. And like all Government regulations and restrictions these costs get passed down to the consumer.

Yes, it's a Government thing, not a UPS/FedEx thing.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012