Does SIZE matter?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Maine04657, Oct 5, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

:D
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I had a long post posted here essentially LMBO at your theory and your attitude but then I got to thinking you must be a kid to say something this ridiculous. No one distorted your post. I don't care where you shoot an elephant with a .22, you will not kill it. It is illegal to shoot large game (I'm talking the big 5) in most of Africa unless you use at least a .375 H&H. Pro hunters suggest calibers starting with .4 like a .408 CheyTac up to shoot an elephant.

Your theory about killing an elephant with a .22 is just absurd friend. It will never happen. You're talking the largest animal walking the earth. The angle you would hit the eye of an elephant would be so extreme that the bullet would not travel down the eye socket if you did hit it. You would be pointing up so much the bullet would penetrate a small amount of skull and lodge there. You'd have to be in a tree to have any hope of getting a bullet to travel down the eye socket. And if you did the bullet would not penetrate far enough to reach the brain. And I hope to heaven you never try such a thing with a bear because their eye socket leads to an angle area of the skull, not the brain. That's a way a bear protects it's brain from an eye injury. Elephants haven't needed that adaptation because nothing has ever been able to penetrate that far until firearms came along.

Stop trying to assume things will happen (which is what you did). Check the facts before you post. You won't look so silly if you do that. I can point you to web sites that back up what I say. Like this one:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070318205439AAic8ue

And this one:

http://sportsafield.com/content/elephant-hunt-375-hh

I could find a lot more if I tried. You're just wrong friend and no one tried to distort what you said. I never changed the meaning of your post. Grow up and don't try to use techniques you see on tv to get out of mistakes. That's not reality. Try going to a hunting site and ask them about killing an elephant with a .22 and see what sort of reaction you get. Then you might see how off the wall your comments look.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Will a .308 take out an elephant if you shoot the elephant in the head?
  4. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Poachers in Africa use .308's to take elephants pretty often. Probably a big percentage of elephants are taken with a .308. But it takes someone who knows what they're doing to kill one with a gun that size. That's what I've read anyway. I've never been to Africa. I just read a lot of web sites and hunting mags. I have since I was a kid (hunting magazines). Keep in mind that the poachers probably shoot the elephants over and over and over. They don't care about anything but the ivory. And I'm sure they know what they're doing because it's been going on a long time.
  5. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Recoil is more then a .44 but not bad. The pressure wave that hits you in the chest is much more then a .44 though. IT is close to what you feel shooting a .50 bmg like someone thumps you in the chest with a 2x4. You know when you fire it that's for sure.