DOES THE S&W 500 MAG BREAK WRISTS

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rvtec88, Jan 27, 2005.

1. rvtec88

rvtec88 New Member

I AM LOOKING TO BUY A S&W.500 MAG SNUBNOSE, I HAVE BEEN TOLD TWO DIFF STORIES, #1 IT SHOTS GREAT AND IS EASY TO HANDLE. #2 IT KICKS LIKE A MULE AND WILL SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD OPEN AND CAN BREAK YOUR WRIST. I HAVE SHOT A 44 MAG, 357 MAG 45 AUTO 9MM .40CAL, NEVER A PROB WITH ANY OF THESE . SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH? I LOVE THE FEEL OF THAT HAND CANNON AND WANT TO GET ONE REALLY BAD, CAN'T CHOSE BETWEEN THE SNUB OR THE 8 3/8 INCH BARREL. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVISE PLEASE LET ME KNOW, ASAP...........THANKS..............RVTEC :D
  2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I have not shot a snubbie but the 8+" barrel was not that much of a problem... I would sujest 2 hands though... It is stout but I highly doubt it will break your wrist unless your shot by it in the wrist. If you can handle a 357 or a 44mag then you will not have much trouble with a 500.

Ray
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

buy two and shoot one with each hand :rolleyes: I didn't like it when i shot one on the range but then I don't like the 44mag either
    the 357mag or a 45ACP is fun to shot I just don't care for the supper big bores.
    Ron
  4. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Name like 358 and not like big bores??? I thought you would have atleast the 50BMG in a pistol....

Ray the kidder
  5. interstatepawnllc

interstatepawnllc New Member

The S&W 500 is not that big a deal with factory loads.

Now load it up with 38 grain handloads and you might have a few issues!

My 2 cents!
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Ray
    I am working on a shoulder fired bolt action 20mm :D I have the barrel and a few rounds but haven't found any one to make me a receiver yet. the gun will have to have a bi-pod because it takes all I can do to hold up the 4.5 foot barrel.
    I am also in the market for some one to fill the position of test firer :eek: :D
    Ron
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I'm your huckleberry...

Crpdeth
  8. rvtec88

rvtec88 New Member

hey everyone, thanks for your advise! :D i think i,m going to have to buy the snubbie and give it a whirll. will let you know how it goes :eek:
  9. deputydon

deputydon New Member

No, at least mine doesn't. I use two hand hold mostly because the beast weighs about 6# empty. I suppose if you one hand limp wristed it you might get hurt, but brokern - no. -Don
  10. ECC

ECC New Member

Hell, I'll shoot it!...if you're not too P'O'ed at me from the ribbing over at MC this AM ;) I'll shoot anything, once.
  11. frosty

frosty New Member

Does it break wrists?..........No just your pocket book to keep it fed. Even if you reload ammo for it your still gonna pay through the nose in powder let alone brass. :rolleyes:
  12. Neil

Neil New Member

sounds like a good gun for a short guy that wants to be tall.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A mamouth 300lb friend of mine with gorilla sized hands (my hands dissappear in his hands) shot a S&W 500 at an Arizona range (rental) while I watched from outside. He fought to keep the gun down and it still kicked at least a foot high. He said it tried to leave his hands with every shot and was not fun to shoot at all. He bought a 20 round box and said one cylinder full was plenty but had to shoot the rest up (range rules).

This gun has no useful purpose to any target shooter (most of us). A hunter, maybe. But if you want bragging rights and feel a little short today, buy one.

LDBennett