The Firearms Forum banner

Does this German dagger look to be authenic ?

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  stede 
#1 ·
Does anyone know by looking at these pictures if this dagger looks authenic it is supposed to be? I think it is a Social Welfare or Red Cross Offices dagger but Im not sure about the sheath being olive green as it appears in the pictures ...any opinions?

OFC

See less See more
#2 ·
deutcher socialadar (sp?) ( German welfare) had a star

Red Cross DO NOT bear anything that could be a weapon and them funny round end scissors are a result of WW1 negotiations for first aid supplies

it look more like the tutonic knights of the Cross Sheild emblem to be honest

more esoteric BS from himmler and crew

#3 ·
deutcher socialadar (sp?) ( German welfare) had a star

Red Cross DO NOT bear anything that could be a weapon and them funny round end scissors are a result of WW1 negotiations for first aid supplies

it look more like the tutonic knights of the Cross Sheild emblem to be honest

more esoteric BS from himmler and crew
Jack do you think it is an authenic WWII German dagger ?

#4 · (Edited)
I'm a bad one to ask , i've bought with proof of history and then the steel turnout to be 1974 and later only and i aint a german /nazi buff , though i know a lot who are

ww2 period ? i doubt , daggers where "regailed" items if you know what that means

the nazi's tryed to involve the pride and spirit of many into the system of the master race , ceremonial daggers included , take a look at a average hitker juden knife , even they where way better finish than this ,

i'd say post war and lets not discount the fact that many groups for many years in germany wanted to relive the "good old days" the beer hall brigade went on for years and they remade all the ceremonial items , i think this could be such a piece ( is very similar in finish to banner heads i've seen of post war nature . the simon weisanthal (sp?) web site has a lot of info on the post WW2 period of nazism )

made by old nazi wanna be for other old nazi wanna be's , but without the finish of the real german working folks who by then would have recoiled at a swazticker

#6 · (Edited)
OFC i dunno about a German red cross ,, i know the rules the international red cross folks have and that history , and know a bit about the propaganda ministry ( more as a side on propaganda /spin / rhetoric in general )

but the finish on the catalougue one would denote it as a german war time issue , they where anal about such things , i doubt there was one bad dagger issued in germany then as they where important items , MP's cresent shaped badges too , always had to be spotless ..

i may be way wrong , but you see what i'm getting at ?

unless that one your pic has had a hard life , i dont think it had the finish the catalouge one has , again happy to be shown wrong .. but its just from a pic too ,

#10 · (Edited)
#12 · (Edited)
OFC, the scabbard and dagger fittings should be dull nickle plated. Perhaps the coloring in the photos is a trick of the light, or there might be a layer of oxidation.
Can you get a closer pic of the ricasso area? Again, it might be the pic but it seems there is a bit of a 'wasp-waist' in the blade there and that shouldn't be... the Red Cross Leader's dagger is known to be reproduced, as it's fairly scarce.
FYI, the dagger was issued to both Red Cross and Social Welfare leaders; the only difference being the color and style of the hangers used in wear.

#16 ·
STEDE I SUPPOSE I DO HAVE AN ODD TASTE IN KNIVES ...I DO NOT TAKE COLLECTING AS SERIOUS AS SOME ON HERE ..I ENJOY BUYING THINGS THAT BRING ME PLEASURE TO OWN AND JUST HOPE THAT I GET A DECENT BUY ...THANKS TO A LOT OF YOU GUYS I HAVE LEARNED A GOOD BIT (LIKE NOT TRYING TO BUY A CIVIL WAR BOWIE LOL) ...AND BECASUE MY WIFE AND I LIKE TO ATTEND AUCTIONS I COME ACROSS A LOT OF KNIVES THAT I AM NOT FAMILER WITH AND THATS WHY I ASK YOU GUYS ABOUT THEM ..

OFC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.