Dog attack...what caliber ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Sep 9, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think we may have discussed this before, but i'd like to revisit the issue once more...

I know the 9mm is sufficient to take down a Lab sized dog if it attacks. I have found that out several times in the last 3 years. The aim has to be right... i know that.

Anyway, i while back my friends car broke down on his wife. She got a ride home and later John and i went to go pick it up. I offered to tow it...illegal, yes i know, but i still offered. He decided to drive it back in 2 miles at a time.... a broken seal.
    Anyway, he had to stop bad because it got hot...real hot. We were about 150 feet from a house when he pulled over. And i swear, a dog the size of a small horse started walking over to us barking and growling the whole way. It was huge...i sh*t you not !!!!
    I was not armed at the time. In Arkansas if you want a ccw, you have to agree to never touch a drop of alcahol while you are liscensed for concealed carry. I refuse. I'm not a frequent drinker, but i do occasionally drink socially..... Plus, i strongly disagree with the idea of begging for a permit for something that should be a legal right without a permit. I feel strongly about that. I feel that the permit process makes you sign away your rights, which it basicly does in my opinion....
    Anyway, the dog is walking the whole way, not running. I had a drill steel in the trunk of my car with a bit on it. A nice chunk of metal with somewhat sharp carbide teeth on it...
    That horse got a little closer and i started thinking about waiting it out in the car instead... :rolleyes: Then as soon as he gets up to us he turns friendly.... :confused: I was still leary of him to say the least.

Ever since that day i have wondered what would be the smallest caliber that would take care of something that size ?? I mean that dogs head was almost level with mine, and i stand 5'7" tall !!!!! I don't know what kind it was... a freak i think. Big sucker. And not on a chain !!! :mad:

I know some of you think the only useable round is the 45, but i can't help but wonder if a 40 or a 357 sig would have done it. I honestly think that the 9mm would have fallen short?

Thoughts on this y'all ??

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

A good 9mm HP will drop them if hit in the chest or head.

Ray
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah, but that was a BIG BIG DOG !!!!! Back when my only car was not running i had to walk between the office where the computer is at and my house up in the quarry. I've lost count of how many times I've been attacked by dogs on that mile long road. Dogs arround here travel in packs. Most of the dogs were able to run about 10 to 20 feet before collapsing. Only two dropped at my feet with that 9mm.
    I've checked the carcases... most all were good shots. Its hard to miss at 4 feet !!! But those were single shots though. The comp on my 19c is bright in the pitch dark...probably not a good setup for night. Fun at sundown, but not good in pitch black dark.... So i only get one shot in, and always the other dogs run off at that point. Lucky for me i guess.
    They're serious, but not as serious as they could be i guess. Just dumb dogs that have developed a taste for traveling in packs and killing cranes, cats, deer and all kinds of stuff. Dumb, worthless dogs....

But like i say.....BIG BIG BIG DOG !!!! I guarantee you one thing, nothing less than a 9mm would drop it...

mike
    gn
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh duh.... its got a rail... a surefire light would help !!! :rolleyes:

IPT said i was slow... guess he's right.

mike
    gn
  5. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I carry a little .380 when I walk my dog. Haven't had to use it yet, but I think it will do the job. Even if one shot doesn't kill him, it'll sure change his mind about eating ME!. I've put down horses with a .22 when I had to. But those were point blank shots at a still target, and knowing right where to put the shot.
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

How about a Desert Eagle in 50AE.I know it is not a Glock, but Glock does not make anything in that cal.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A water gun filled with ammonia will turn almost any dog in its path just make sure to hit it in the face, at close range. If that don't work PRAY ;)
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

And for all of my 57 years, I thought there were only two ways a fairy tale started; "Once upon a time" and "Hey, this ain't no $h*t". Musta been Sasquatch, for sure! ;) :D :D :D :D :D
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

A .22 long rifle is enough to make all the venison you can eat, and a dog would likely give the same reaction a deer does, when brain shot.
    On a more 'all around' note, since penetration is virtually a non issue for a concealed carry weapon, but terminal ballistics is, how about a light (Say 100-125gr) bullet in a +P .38 spl velocity load?
    I used to resize the 88 grainer that Hornady makes for the .380, and load them in .38 spl brass; an armadillo, hit wit the load, reacts as if he'd been eating explosives; usually in multiple parts, when motion stops.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You got it wrong... the southern version of a fairy tale is "Y'all won't believe this sh*t, but..."

The breed of dog has a name, i just can't remember it. It seemed to me to be an older dog, not old, old...but full grown. It was huge. Maybe i'm remembering it a little taller than it was...it may have only come up to my neck, but that still made it one huge beast !!!! Scared the crap out of me...

mike
    gn
  11. mpdc3870

mpdc3870 New Member

Carry a jar of peanut butter in your pocket. A little dab on the tongue can stymie the advances of all but the largest canines. Anybody got an opinion on which way to go, creamy or chunky?
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yo quiero Taco Bell! ;) :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh right.... Yeah, and in order to get this peanut butter on the tongue of this dog means that my hands would be near its mouth..... :(
    I don't like the idea of that !! :eek:

mike
    gn
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Just go to your nearest Taco Bell! :D :D :D :D :D
  15. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I don't care how big the dog is if you shoot him with a xtp, winchester hp silver tip, or any other flying ashtrey then it will be lights out for a dog. Remeber a dog is not some hyped up junkie.

Ray