1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Dog Bites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muley, Feb 12, 2006.

1. muley

muley New Member

My neighbor owns two Pit Bulls and the only thing protecting us is my 6 ft chain link fence. That didn't help my dachshund Minnie when she stuck her nose through the fence yesterday. One of them latched on and wouldn't let go.

Mrs muley heard the howling and ran out and had to kick and pound the fence to make the pit bull let go. Minnie came away with a bunch of deep teeth bites on her nose and muzzle. If it hadn't been for Mrs muley, I believe she would have lost her whole nose. The neighbor still insists that the two pit bulls are sweet darlings and wouldn't hurt a fly......

Anyway, this morning, I installed some 1/2" chicken wire so that Minnie can't get her nose anywhere near those darling teeth again........
    muley

[​IMG]
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Hope Minnie makes a full recovery. We had a mini weener that came from Crescent City, bout 6-7 years ago. Chloe was a sweetie, alas, spinal degeneration took her @ 4 yrs. Franny & Homer send their licks.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Poor Minnie! :(
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I would also tell him that if it happens again, his "sweet darlings" will each catch a load of #6s...

What if it was a kid who stuck his nose through the fence?
  5. corniceman

corniceman New Member

Funy how there all sweet. couldent hert a fly tell thy rip off some kids arm I love dogs but have no use for bit bulls at all. :mad:
  6. sarzak

sarzak New Member

i love wiener dogs. back when i was a contractor a pit bull in the yard next door had a pretty good start on a hole through the cedar fence and whilst i was working made it big enough to come on through. i had noticed a pick axe leaning against the house on my way into the yard and had to use it. i never felt bad about killing that dog. when i told the owners they didnt seem to care. i love dogs but i dont understand the whole pitbull thing
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

My suggestion would be to talk to your neighbor about the vet bill, if not this time the next time and show what there little darling dogs will and can do.

Good job one the chicken wire, but those damn pits.... I just don't trust them in general.
  8. Yup, Polish, or #4 buckshot . . . :mad: There is NEVER an excuse for that kind of negligence on the part of a dog owner. I love dogs with an absolute passion and have owned them all my life, but it is axiomatic that an owner is responsible for the behavior of his animals. Indeed, that principle goes back to the English Common Law and still prevails in the U.S. today. Muley, you should report the incident to the police so it is on record should something similar take place in the future and you are forced to take stronger action. When I was a kid we had a similar thing occur with our dog. Two terriers from a neighbor's yard dug under the fence into our yard and attacked my dog, Bullet. No reason whatsoever for the attack. Fortunately, my Dad was home for lunch at the time (I was at school), and he simply blew both of the little beasties away with a 12 gauge. The neighbor raised holy hell until the police showed up (two 12 gauge blasts do get the attention of the neighborhood) and informed the former owner of the dogs he was lucky my Dad didn't sue his butt for property damage.
  9. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Ya, pit bulls are sweet, when they are not on their own property.

Here is a bit of info on them ;

"That sly smile, those determined eyes, that unwaning pleasure to please... the mere quality and characteristics of the APBT have evoked more human emotional, rational, and irrational response than any other breed that exists today. By no means are these dogs people-haters or people-eaters. Their natural aggressive tendencies are toward other dogs and animals, not people. However if they are properly socialized they will not even be aggressive with them. These are truly quality companions for quality owners only! The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet, which is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, it is always eager to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of vitality. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. It is usually very friendly, but has an uncanny ability to know when it needs to protect and when everything is okay. The American Pit Bull Terrier can be willful and needs a firm hand. They are generally okay with other pets if they are raised with them from puppy hood. For the most part they are very friendly, but not recommended for most people. Excellent with children in the family, they have a high pain tolerance and will happily put up with rough child play. As with any breed, they should not be left alone with unfamiliar children. Originally used as fighting dogs, the powerful American Pit Bull may go for the throat of strange dogs. A minimum of training will produce a tranquil, obedient dog. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, this is a very good dog and a great family companion. Unfortunately, some choose to promote the fighting instinct in the breed, giving it a bad name."

In other words, these dogs must not be too well trained. Pits are a GREAT dog if they are socialized and trained. If not, they are a danger to everyone and everything they come in contact with.

Beagle
  10. MnHunter

MnHunter New Member

Rglbegl, has said it all 100%
    Like any other dog, they need training. These dogs that bit minnie are not trained and are not sweet little darlings they are untrained undissaplined terrors and the owners/master should be held responsible for the actions of there dogs. But my years of being friends and working with law enforcement has taught me a few things, if you were to fight this incident and end up in court the judge can say Minnie was instigating the situation by the fact her nose was going thru the fence to there side of the property and the Pit may have felt endangered by that action alone. Meaning they have now justified the reasoning for the attack on Minnie. Chances are it could be thrown out of court with no fines dued except for the court costs that would have to be paid by Minnies owner/Pursuer of the action. BUT, if you ended up with a judge that does not favor Pitts what so ever you could end up with a judgement in your favor...
  11. I could not agree with you more, rgl. I've always believed that there is no such thing as a "bad" dog, barring some sort of physiological problem like a brain tumor or something. There are, however, far too many bad dog owners! Frankly, I like American Stafforshire Terriers, better known as Pit Bull Terriers, assuming they have indeed been properly trained and socialized. It is true that the Staffies are a naturally more aggressive and territorial breed than the average; that's simply their nature. They were bred as fighters and those genes are still part of their makeup. Yet they are not inherently "bad" or "mean;" they are simply much like human children. They must be taught what is acceptable behavior and what is not.
  12. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I concur on the training. I'm a doberman fan. They have their own reputation. Mine was obedience trained, and trained around children. The grandkids loved him.

As far as "animal defence" goes, I use Freeze+P, if you are in place where you can't shoot or don't want to shoot, or just want to save the ammo. It has never fail to stop a animal attack for me. It works pretty good on 98% of the people too. If a person has hit on "crack" withen the last hour it has little effect. Then neither do bullets, except for head shots.
  13. JamesRK

JamesRK New Member

Did you tell him “hurting flies” ain’t what you’re concerned about? Oh yeah, the VET BILL too.
  14. greeker375

greeker375 New Member

We have a Dachsie now, his name is Snoopy. He's been with us 9 yrs so far and has had 2 back surgery's. I was in Harrisburg last week when I got a call from home at almost 1 am and was informed the little guy fell off the porch on his mid-nite run so I hit the road and came back home for fear he'd really hurt himself.
    To us, he is like one of our kids, as the kids are always asking about him when they call. He's ever attentive to noice and many times when I've answered the door for a delivery, these guys are standing 10-15 ft from the door expecting "KONG" to come running out...is kinda funny to see them turn sheepish when they see the source of the noise.
    25 yrs ago I had an attack trained Alsatian (sp). He weighed in at 117 lbs and would eat anybody or anything that came onto our property (at the time we lived in a rural area, I worked over 110 hrs a week and we had 2 children under 6 yrs). Gave my wife a real comfortable feeling with Apollo either in or out the house.