1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Dog breed question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robman2629, Oct 9, 2012.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

I got my pup last year from a rescue unit down in Tennessee. They transported her up to New Hampshire for me. She is a Catahoula Leopard Hound. I hear they are a southern type breed. Anyone have a Catahoula or any information about them? Thanks.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I have had 4, there are excellent and very loyal dogs. they are primarily working dogs and must have plenty of room and exercise; MUST! they are about the best Cattle Dogs you'll ever find. I will send you some links and some information when I get home this afternoon.
  3. woolleyworm

Oh, pics also a Must! ;)
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just so happens that I own one, or does he own me? The one standing up on the wife is what we call a Catahula Kerr. It is a hound dog. My big man, Buck.

Attached Files:

5. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Thats awesome! My girl is huge and I have come to realize how much more exercise she needs compared to other types of dogs. She loves to bump my legs when we walk when she wants to go near something. There is one of her as a pup right before I got her, and the other one is a year later (she is 1)

Attached Files:

6. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Sorry, didnt realize the size of that image haha. I hear catahoulas are known to have multi colered eyes. Anyone experience this?
  7. gad1111

gad1111 Member

My late grandfather had one (my aunt has him now) Very loyal and protective and very intelligent. They do tend to have multi colored eyes but not always. We were told they were originally bred in Louisiana for hunting wild hogs

Greg
  8. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

That's a fine lookin dog. I've used them for gatherin cattle and huntin hogs! They are great dogs and yes they can have differant eye colors.
  9. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

She is a very smart dog but fairly lazy. How have you trained your catty? I have worked with a dog trainer but anytime she had to actually do work, she would just lay down. It was quite amusing actually to see all the other dogs doing stuff and her just sitting there watching them. However, I would like her to not jump on people when they come over. Any advice?
  10. woolleyworm

They often do, Tommy was the only male that I had and his eyes were multicolored and his coat was grey/blue/light brown. I wish I still had pics, but I lost them all.

Re: your other post, they will get HUGE, most people don't realize that this breed gets well over 100#. they are also the smartest dogs I've seen at figuring out how to manipulate things; they're the dogs that figure out how to open doors and I swear they knew how to open the peanut butter jar and put the lid back on. They're the most problem solving dog I've ever seen.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. lead

lead Well-Known Member

You said she's a rescue. You may have issues over that to deal with first. Rescue dogs may have changed hands a few times and need to get used to the idea that they are with you for the long haul first. You can tell that is an intelligent dog. There's nothing you can't overcome with time, patience, and alot of love.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

There is nothing better than a good dog. They are the most loyal and faithful creatures and will love you unconditionally like no other animal or even human will. I have 4 of them and they are like children to me.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We call the light blue eyes, glass eyed. Ol Buck's right eye is half light blue/brown. The mostly white dog is App, one of his pups. App had two light blue eyes. I said had, because he is no longer with us. The brown dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, App's mother. Buck, at 85 lbs. still thinks he is a lap dog, and will get in your lap at any opertunity!
  14. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Sorry to hear about App. The other type of dog I was looking at was a rhodesian. I hear they are very similar. She and her 4 brothers were found underneath a house abandoned with their mom. It is awful that someone would just leave their dog like that. They moved and just left them there. She is a sweetheart with me and loves greetings. She doesnt realize she is 65 pounds when she jumps up to lick faces haha.
  15. gad1111

gad1111 Member

Pure bred Catahulas are supposed to have 5 colors.This is Micky

Greg

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012