Dog breed question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robman2629, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Most people around here use them for hog dogs. Some people use them for cattle work, but they are rough on the cows. Generally a good dog though.
  2. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I wouldn't mind getting a Catahoula Bulldog someday.
  3. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I have a two and a half year old catahoula male. Got him as a rescue at 6 months. He has come a ling way. I cant contain him. Chain link, metal crates, or 6 foot fences... Smart as a whip, loves kids, and has boundless energy. They are a handful and NEED PLENTY OR SPACE AND EXERCISE! Or they will eat your house and everything in it... Great dogs, but they often have severe separation anxiety issues and they need a job. You will not master a Catahoula--- you have to be a leader and hope they trust and follow. VERY INDEPENDENT!
  4. gad1111

gad1111 Member

And the don't know how to give up, I've seen Micky spend all day going after a raccoon to the point he was so worn out he couldn't get in the truck with out help.

Greg
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

It's hard to deal with if you're sitting, but if you're standing, the standard technique is to quickly raise your leg so that her chest hits your knee (along with, "Down!") rather than her getting her feet on you, so she has to back up and drop, and regroup (wondering what happened.) Don't use your hands and ignore her otherwise. Pay attention to her ONLY when she's behaving and staying down. This technique is easy for visitors to do also.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

I have tried this with people but have come to realize how hard it ends up being for them to follow simple directions and they end up getting all worried and freaking out.