1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

dog virus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fedupdon, Feb 25, 2009.

1. fedupdon

fedupdon New Member

Dog owners should know that veterinarians are recommending you add another vaccination to the list of yearly shots your dog gets.

There's an old threat making a comeback that can put your pet's life at risk.

Leptospirosis is a bacteria that can be passed from wild animals to your dog.

Dr. Christen Skaer, a Wichita, Kansas veterinarian, says the symptoms can be pretty vague and hard to pinpoint.

Some things to look for are increased drinking and urination, fever and fatigue.

If left untreated, Leptospirosis can be deadly.

Fortunately, there's a vaccine to treat the bacteria and it's been around for years.

Dr. Skaer recommends dog owners talk to their vets about getting the vaccine.

Cats aren't immune to Leptospirosis, but they rarely become infected.

Dr. Skaer points out that animals contract the bacteria from open wounds and urine of infected animals
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten to mention it to my friend, her dog is ill and hopefully he doesn't have this!
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

can humans become infected?
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yes, humans can be infected, it is a bacterium. Leptospirosis is transmitted by the urine of an infected animal, and is contagious as long as it is still moist.
  5. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

glad i know this i have alot of dogs and 2 stray cats keep coming in my yard and will eat with my dog
  6. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Thanks for the posting I will talk to my vet about this. Two weeks ago, Pepe (14years old) died, I still have a 2.5 year old Boxer and I couldn't bear to lose another.
  7. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool::cool:

thanx fedupon....we were fixin toget yearly shots for our small house dog...due to construction I guess.have also seen several oposum's in and around cans...timely info for me...thanx..:cool::cool::cool: