Don't buy a Honda....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Mar 17, 2007.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I bought an Accord last August... Biggest mistake i ever made. No drivetrain problems yet, but everything in the interior sqeaks, pops, snaps, rattles or moans!!! The power door locks quit working a while back. A seal on the drivers door broke resulting in a loud sqeek on every acceleration and every time the breaks are applied. Anotherwords, every time the body distorts in the slightest....
    The air vents chatter !!!! The armrest keeps poping off.... the latch holding the back two seats up rattles like nothing you have ever heard!!!!
    And the kicker of it all..... Now the sunroof won't close properly. I had it open today on the drive over to Rogers, Arkansas and when i closed it and took my first curve in the road it sounded like a chuahuhah was growling at me!!! I even heard it over the radio...so i shut it off and listened. Every turn in the road, left or right...it made noise that sounded like a cross between a growling dog and a zipper unzipping...either that or a fat lady putting on a wetsuit?
    Anyway, after 12 tries it finally closed properly and stopped making the noise. Now i'm afraid to open the sunroof for fear of the consequences!!!!!
    I hate rattles!!!!!!

Honda service is not all that great either. Their policy is that if the mechanic does not hear the noise during his test drive, they will not even
    examine the area that is making the noise. I took it in a couple of weeks ago and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I got angry and told them to go get the mechanic, we're going for a ride!!!!!!
    DO YOU HEAR THIS? DO YOU HEAR THAT??

His reply.... "oh...that?" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    They changed the door window seals and now i have a Pop Pop instead of a squeak squeak. Big whoopie.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will admit that the drive train seems to be ok. The 4cylinder engine has alot of pep, and the 4 wheel disc breaks will stop the car on a dime. But the noise this car makes is unbelievable!!!! I was giving this lady a ride a month or so ago, and i will never forget what she said.... she asked me if the car had been in a wreck? She continued to say that they are never the same after they are put back together....

If you are even thinking about a Honda, think again!!!!!! Read the reviews on the internet before buying. Yahoo's user reviews on the 06 Accord say exactly what i am experiencing....RATTLE, RATTLE, AND MORE RATTLES !!!!!

Buyer beware !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

PS

I'm thinking about having a couple of magnetic signs to put on both doors stating the problems I'm having with the car....maybe even one of those roof top billboard signs with bigger letters on it?

A "moving bill board" alerting folks not to buy a car from Frank Fletcher Honda of Bentonville, Arkansas ?!!!!!

I like that idea..... :cool:

mike
    gn
  3. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Was this new? I'm surprised, Hondas have a pretty solid reputation overall. Of course, every carmaker turns out a stinker sooner or later (I've had a few of them) . . . maybe this is Honda's . . .
    Sorry to hear about it, hope you get it fixed up.
  4. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Aw geez, did ya hafta go there?!?

I bought a new Civic back in '99. Had it for a year and a half, then sold it to my sister in Jersey. Good car, and it's still a good car. But B-O-R-I-N-G.

The difference is that the Civic was made in Japan. I talked to other Honda buyers, and those who had Accords all had problems. Water pumps, alternators, cam drives, transmissions, etc.

My dad has had a string of Datsun/Nissan trucks. Well, if three since 1972 makes a string. The 1980 model rusted to nothing in five years. He kept it another three because the engine still had full compression on it and wouldn't give up. Sure, there was no truck left around the engine...

Years ago, someone here in Nashville did that. He rented a billboard across the street from the Chevy dealership where he bought his Chevy Cavalier, stating that the dealership had sold him a lemon. Tried as they might, the dealership's attorneys could not revoke the man's first amendment rights. And I think the dealership did eventually trade him out of his Cavalier.

But anybody who bought a Cavalier with a digital dash was just asking for it, if you ask me.

You're in the same place as that guy. The dealership did not build your rattling, squeaking Honda Accord, but they refuse to properly repair the car. Unless the problems constitute a safety hazard (such as Saab's Direct Ignition Cassettes, for example), the NHTSA cannot do anything about Honda or the dealership. Before you make your car a rolling billboard, you should have your attorney contact the dealership and/or Honda North America on your behalf.
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

Geez man you always seem to make the bad choices... first glock now honda :D :rolleyes: :p

Hey somebody had to say it!! lol

slugger
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Brand new!!!! a whopping 2 miles on the odometer when i test drove it and i put $500 down on it after driving it to hold it, so no one else drove it until i payed for it and took it home....

The squeaks started at about 3k miles and in earnest arround 5k miles. I am now at 11,000 miles and it sounds like what i would imagine oscar the grouch would hear if someone kicked his trash can down the street a rolling....
    We have a delivery truck that is coming up on 20 years old. IT MAKES LESS NOISE !!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  7. Well, it could have been much worse, Slugger. He might have bought a 1911 pattern pistol and had to spend another $1,000 just to get it to shoot more or less downrange. :eek: :D ;) :p
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

....would a fat lady walking in polyester slacks be more palatable? LOL

I think that is a large part of the problem. The Accords are now made in America by those wonderful Union ****ers. :mad:
    I have avoided "made in USA" now for some time now, and for a good reason.... because its junk!!!!!
    I've noticed it in the tools I've bought as well as other things. Unions suck
    the life out of quality...
    The pnumatic drills we bought over the years that were american made had
    horrible tolerances....like some machinist was hung over. As soon as they took production over to Japan everthing improved dramatically!!!!!
    Brunner and Lay makes Drill steels for quarry drilling. I watched their quality
    go down hill every year that i bought their stuff. In fact the last time i bought drill steels from them they weren't even tempered at all. 3 holes and they were warped. I switched over to Secoroc and a Korean brand and couldn't believe the difference. Better drill tip design...they rarely got stuck, the carbide tip was tougher and hardly ever needed sharpened compared to the american B&L's..... disgracefull!!!!
    I guess the Secorocs "sweeds" use virgin steel instead of scrap metal like the american B&L's....

Made in the USA means nothing these days.

Good !!!!

Digital dashboard in ANY brand of vehicle is a mistake. 20 years ago the
    replacement cost was 2 grand!!! I can only imagine what it is today.....
    Self leveling shocks are another thing to be avoided. Changing the shocks will run you a whopping $1500 !!!!! Which is why i think alot of the reason that the old cadillacs and lincolns are virtually worthless. Parts are outrageously priced for them.

No, but they were deceitfull about squeaks and rattles when i was first looking at the car. My wonderfull salesman... "Aubrey Fox" lied his @$$ off when i asked him if many people brought their accords back with squeak and rattle problems. He stated that only one guy made the claim and it supposedly turned out to be change in the glove box....
    I wish i'd had a tape recording of him saying that!!!!! Their own records would hang them in court. The mechanic admitted to me that they have had
    a bunch of them back for it. He made a vulgar reference to the 06 Accords in particular...
    He also said the Honda Pilots were having door problems in the door latch? They make a ting, ting, ting noise while driving. They didn't yet have a solution for it he said.....

At a whopping $150 an hour, the local going rate for an attorney who is compitent and not hung over... the legal bill can add up rather quickly!!!!!
    That kind of game is a little like poker....unless you have the financial ability to match what your opponent "ups you", its a lost game. Bluffing "i'm gonna sue you" doesn't work well against big corportations.

mike
    gn
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

heh heh heh..... only problems is that statement falls flat on its face. I have never had any problems with any of my Glocks....I have never needed warranty work for them. They have functioned reliably without any problems, and I have never needed to customize them either. I did not buy my Glocks for punching 1/2 groups at 25 yards, i bought them for protection of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...and in that they have worked quite wonderfully. :)
    Those who would continually offer the "Tupperware" humor kinda remind me of old and long since passed uncle whos memory was sooo bad that he told the same dog gonne joke over and over to the point of irritation. 15 times in a row....the same d**d joke....every time he laughed like like it was hilariously funny. It got to the point where i avoided him. Alzheimers can tough on those who have it.... and thats what you people who continually spout the tupperware cr*p remind me of..... my uncle with the short term memory problems.

If you're gonna be dummies, at least come up with a NEW joke for gods sake!!!!!

mike
    gn
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Now THATS funny !!!!!! :D

mike
    gn
  11. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I have sympathy for you Glock. I once thought Honda vehicles were bullet-proof. Nope.

I have a Honda Ridgeline assigned to Ave Maria University - one of my bigger sites - and it, alongside a 1500 Dodge Ram, patrol the huge construction areas. Well, long story short, the Honda has been a maintenance nighmare. It's worthless and weak, unable to stand up to rough and rugged terrain. I expect body parts to begin falling off shortly.

Compare that to the Dodge Ram which has taken all the punishment my staff could throw at it, and it just keeps on chugging along. It has needed very little maintenance beyond normal stuff.

Guess Made in America isn't always so bad!
  12. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

The last Honda I rode in was in the early 1980s. It was a CVCC I think. It was a piece of junk rattle trap and I decided then I would never own one. Sounds like they haven't changed much.
  13. cec

cec New Member

Glocknut, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about your Honda. :D

Sorry to hear that you got burned on this one, it happens with all things. I don't want to get into the American vs Foreign car debate here as they all have the lemons and the diamonds. It is luck of the draw.

Since the car is so new you should be able to use the warranty to your advantage. Also does the state where you bought the car have a lemon law? Some states have very goods ones, some don't. Since they are state run, there should be no cost besides your time investment.

Your other options include the billboard (which is very effective) and newspaper ads. Just try to avoid slander, just state the facts.

The other option is if the local news has one of the consumer advocate segments. They are always looking for stories and doing the classic "look at this reliable Honda" piece would be good for them.

The last option is to ditch the thing and get something else. Means a hit to the wallet, but since Hondas are in such demand, you may be able to break even.

Just some advice from past lemons I have had.
  14. cec

cec New Member

Another couple of thoughts:

First, is there another Honda dealer close by? I have found that sometimes going to a different dealer helps. For example for one of my wife's cars, we found that one dealer knew the engine while the other was really good with the electronics.

Second, more about the warranty. Your issue could become what is covered. If there is nothing preventing your using the car (ie it starts, no safety issues, goes vroom, etc) then it comes down to fit and finish. Sometimes the warranties are vague with body related problems.

If you decide to have a "shoot-out" with it, let me know. :D
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Glock here is a little advise from someone that used to work at a dealershit.

The LOUDEST customer got the best results. Especially if you are one of the first in line first thing in the morning.

Let me guess at on this one. The showroom isn't anywhere near the shop, probabllly measured in miles right?
  16. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Alot of ideas are floating arround in my head about what to do. I do believe i need to get rid of it at some point soon. I could put an ad in the car section of the newspaper and see what hits i can get, but i think the car is to new to sell well. Theoretically the car is still worth to much to sell well. Starting price was a little over $25k for an exl accord. After a couple of years when the value drops to arround $15 or less then it would move alot better.

Its noisy....thats for sure. I don't know exactly what I'll do, but if i cannot get rid of it...then i am convinced that i'd better get the extended warranty so the motor and tranny are covered for a longer time. $1700 will buy a 6 year 100k comprehensive warranty. It may not do any good on covering the fit and finish, but the drivetrain is what is the main purpose of having a car in the first place.

Next time I'm not going to spend much more than what it takes to get basic transportation. Forget the supposed higher grade vehicles with the bells and whistles.
    Hyundai has a 100k standard drivetrain warranty. Other car makers are getting close to that as well. Ford and Chevy both have bigger drivetrain warranties because of what Hyundai offers....

One idea floating arround in the back of my head is my old cutlass. It has a good body, and a new suspension underneath it....new coil springs and all. Parts for it are cheap cheap cheap.... The idea of pulling the engine and tranny and having both rebuilt...ploping them back in with all new stuff...new carb, water pump, alternator, power steering pump and whatever electronics there are for it... is an attractive idea. My only fear is that the gas mileage will be bad. Rebuilding engines always reduces the gas mileage. I don't want to wind up with 12mpg !!!!!!! :eek: Before the carb problems it was running 19 to 20 local and 27 mpg at 70 mph on the innerstate. I got a whopping 34mpg one time driving 50 miles per hour to little rock. I know it will go down with a rebuild, but how much is the scarry question?
    Plus, if someone crashes into it and totals it, even if its their fault, its worth very little by the blue book. I'd get scr*wed on compensation for my losses. They say if i save the receipts for the work that they pay for part but not all of what was invested in it. Not a great position to be in..

Not a whole lot of win win situations out there on this subject i suspect. Owning a car seems to be an expensive necessary evil so to speak.... :mad:

Oh well....

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  17. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

11:1 pistons, 2.02 valves, 1/2 lift and huge duration on the cam, sure you can get a lot less than 12mpg if you want.

Putting an overdrive, low compression, fuel injection won't get you 34, except on the highway maybe. But you will have a damn car. A real car! To top it all off, if you sink all that money that a new car costs into your Olds you should be able to throw in a new paint job on top of a clean body, new seats, new tires, new glass...

So you would still have a new car.
  18. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

Geez man you always seem to make the bad choices... first glock now honda

Hey somebody had to say it!! lol

slugger
  19. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

tee heee heee :D :D :p

have you heard of the lemon law?

I did not find it in my martindale-hubbell law digest so I am not sure if you have one or not. .............doing a google search..........

Arkansas (AR) Lemon Law Statutes
    Arkansas Title 4, Chapter 90, Sections 401-417

http://www.autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/Arkansas_AR_lemonlaw2.html

that should give you some teeth when complaining at the dealer ship. make sure you and them both document what your complaints have been all along.

salesmen balls shrivel when they hear "lemon law"

slugger
    yea im a smart arse
  20. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Glock a bad choice:confused: , NEVER:D :D
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007