Dont know if this is the right place for this

Discussion in 'TFF Members Test Forum' started by gun runner, Feb 29, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

but Is there any way I could change the g & r on my username to capital letters? Or if someone who has higher authority than me change it ?Thanks
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like it the way it is gun runner.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

fella had a spelling mistake in his name that was embarrassing , he rejoined under the right spelling ... as for US mod's deleting your old name to redo it , i dont think its possible , when we can spammers folks cant re-use those names as they are still in the system .. and unless we clear the system ( and all user names ) its a pickle from what i understand .. maybe someone knows better , but thats my understanding .. sorry eh
  4. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have had 2 forums, never allowed it there for the same reasons jack404 mentioned. I belong to several other forums, including a fishing forum, ran by a buddy...not allowed.

When I had my forums, and got a new member, I'd check the IP. If I found someone I banned coming back with a new name, I'd ban the IP.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if your prepared to
    1 back up the entire database
    2 edit it by hand ,
    3 ensure that all DB links are updated so it dont revert back to the old format
    4 test it
    5 adjust anything wrong
    6 retest

oh and i forgot , you cannot post during this time or it'd all be screwed up

yeah it can be done ( i'd say it'd only take what , 7-10 hours of work?)

but i gotta ask

why did you not do it in the first place ??

and why put the team to such a effort when they dont get paid , they have to take time outta their real lives to do so and without belittling the team in any way i dont think they have the in depth knowledge to do so and thats why in big bold letters we ask folks when they sign up to check it all before signing on

and is it that important ?
    seriously ?

the folks who do run the show ( not me) are good folks doing their very best to look after folks as best they can but they aint super IT guru's , they be folks who wish to help other shooters

and there is no paid membership , they dont get paid from this , yes they have ad's but you know what the ammount of data we go through each month costs ??

heck just the pic's i post along would use close to a Gb a month from all the hits they get and why i now post blueprints and big PDF's on a file hosting site , so folks dont bust the bank here

yeah its doable but understand first what your asking and of whom then put it into reality
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like it the way it is gun runner.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes there is sorry for the rant , tired eh .. lots a junk going on atm..
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Name change is an Admin function. Mods can't do it.
  9. raven818

I don't see an need for an apology, IMO. Most folks don't have any idea what it means to have a well organized site, now they know only a part of it.

That's a good thing.
  10. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thank you all! No Problem just wondering. Thought it might look kind of important :D
    gun runner IT IS!!! :D IM just lucky enough to keep this name, arent gun runners against the law? I dont break the law atleast so i try ;) but thanks anyways, atleast I got some replies. I also think a gun runner doesnt want to sound too proper by putting capital letters like a business so yeah it makes sense. Thanks again.
  11. raven818

I gave that some thought when I first noticed your handle. Nothing personal, habit.
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

gun runner, I thought I knew a way to do this, but I just checked and it did NOT work.
    It seems the only way to change a user name is for the user to open a new account under the name they want, and have an Admin delete their old account.
    The original join date is lost, and the post count goes back to 0.
    Not a very good option, but this inability to change user names is pretty much the norm in discussion groups; I have started several of them, all using different software, and they all were this way.

Questions like this, in the future, should be made in the technical support forum. This test forum actually exists for members to get the hang of posting, attaching files and pictures, etc., and is not normally a place that tech support would check for questions that need answered.