1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Don't you miss the good ol' days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

In my youth (not long ago, but to me it is), I was either running around with friends or I've invited friends over to play video games (the simple days with no insanely high graphics and 2 hour playing time that a 2 year old can finish, I mean the good ol' 2D graphics and 36 hours needed to play the game, minimum) and actually having fun. Now we have games meant for no one under 17 with super realistic graphics and almost no fun, what-so-ever. I also miss some of my friends that I had to leave when we moved from Denver, CO to here in Montgomery, AL, even the places I remember, like the Denver Museum of Natural History. I still remember the lady that showed use a small displace of a T-Rex skull (small because a T-Rex skull is about 1/4 the size of a school bus and the display was no bigger then an F-150 engine and rotated with ease.).

What about your remembrance of the good ol' days?
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    With all this silly talk about torture.... I do long for the good ole days...:rolleyes:

Take 3 VC prisioners for a helicopter ride....

And come back with only one, singing like a canary.....
    :D
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I miss the days when we would have family get togethers and my cousins and i would be givin a hand full of .22 shells and told not to come back till dinner time. And it wasn't unusual to see a couple of 10 year olds walking down the road carrying there 22's. And if the principal saw a rifle in you're gun rack at the hi school parking lot he would take you over to his truck and show you his rifle.
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Heck I am still living , or maybe that is reliving, the good old days shooting 22's and just having fun never played but one video game and I was an adult then I think it was called PONG.
    Any way you look at it I AIN'T NEVER GROWING UP
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My good old days predate pong.:(

Pong was in my teens.

Good old days was skeleton key locks on the doors that you could leave unlocked when you went on vacation.
    A kid could walk down the street with a bb/pellet rifle, and no one cared.
    If you didn't have rock fights with the kids on the other block, you were a wimp.:eek:

Am I old or what?:p
  6. islenos

islenos New Member

Rifle and shotgun in the back window of my truck, pistol in the glovebox, doors unlock in the high school parking lot and nobody cared.

The idea that if you keep your nose clean and worked hard you would get somewhere in this world, my how that has changed.

And most of all, I miss spending time with my father, he was taken from us much too soon.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

Walking across the school yard with a shotgun in my arms to get to the fields behind the school. Back in the days when we still had fields and quail. :(

Art
  8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    We must have come from the same neighbor hood.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

How old ARE you Art?? There haven't been quail in Lousyana in 50 years! :eek: :D :D

The good ol days for me was riding my bicycle with playing cards in the spokes, Grape Nehi & Sour Apple chewing gum, shooting BB guns and cane pole fishing at my great aunt's farm. Never mind picking peas, corn, potatos and shooting the neighbor's bull :eek: in the nads with said BB gun. :D Laying on the TV pillows next to my sister watching John Wayne movies. Spending weeks at my Grandma & Grandpa's house fishing every day. When my Grandpa died in 76 I became Grandma's fishing partner. I would love to know how many catfish & bluegills we fried with french fries, cornbread, purple hull peas & cat-head biscuit strawberry shortcake. :D Man, those were the days.

Pong came along in my early teens and we played it, but I was more into front yard football and fishing.
  10. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

The good old days had their good points catching lightning bugs, going to Aunt Lotties for cantelope, ice cold water melon from the spring house, ice chips swipped from the ice wagon which the ice man left on the tail gate so he could holler "Hay, you kids get away from that ice truck", Grandmas biskets in the morning, Aunt Mildreds stringbeans(how did she get them to taste that way?). Then there was the other side, Grandpas outhouse with wasps and a Sears Roebuck catalog. The cold morning dash downstairs to get dressed behind the range. Playing with friends on Fri. and finding out they had polio on Mon. some dying in a week or so. Visit to friend that summer in an iron lung. Having life threatening infection in 46 and being able to get pennicilan at the Navy Hospital and getting well. It would be another year before there was general access to the new wonder drug. Going to the movies where it was "Refrigerated Inside", Kate Smith and Howdie Doodie on the Landladies big TV. Lone Ranger, Tom Mix and Gang Busters on the radio. Jumping off the bus before it stopped and holering "Geronimo". Homemade bows and arrows and sling shots made from innertubes. Digging forts. Watching nuclear blasts on the Dave Garroway show before catching the bus. Jumping out of trees. Watching Monarch butterflys hatch and dry their wings. Building rubberband powered planes in my buddies attic. Building a crystal radio. Boys Life magazine. Moms chicken and dumplins and Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. Blessed now with a wife who can cook even better than my Mom. Yeah I miss them, wish my grandkids would have some of the good stuff. Can do some of it when they come up at least until we get cell coverage.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The grade school i went to as a kid actually took us to the gun range to shoot 22s...AND there were no panty waist teachers P*ssing and Moaning about how guns were evil either.

And you could draw a pic of a 1911 in art class without them evacuating the school...suspending the student...or even detention for it either.

And there actually used to be a day when the cops were happy that you were not driving under the influence of alcohol. Now a days they get mad when your blood alcohol test shows no alcohol. Go figure? Do they get bonuses for more arrests, or what? :confused::confused::mad::mad:
    Maybe they consider it like their record? Hey, i've got 1500 dui arrests under my belt... i would have had 1500+1 had it not been for that last one that came up with no reading... Dirty bugger wasted my time by being sober... who does he think he is?? :rolleyes:

I guess i'm in a ranting kind of mood today... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  12. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    That's the very first thing that came to my mind when they started this "torture" stuff up in Washington. The one-way helicopter rides were a real convincer, weren't they? Torching hamlets and running off all the livestock, ah! Good times. TJ
  13. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Well... after many years now I've come to realize that these soldiers were, for the most part... brave young men who like we, were just doing "their job", honorably and courageously.

No, those were not "good old days" but rather a bad dream that I have dealt and struggled with and will have to deal with the rest of my life.

I do yearn for some of the the things from back then - like being 19- 20 years old awkwardly faced with "discovering" a different, alien world - a culture.

edited to add: Semper Fidelis.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I should have added the "sarcasm" button to that post. No, they weren't "good times" at all. More like bewildering, confusing and scary. It was an attempt at humor that obviously is out of place. Sorry. TJ
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

51 :D

Yeah, I think the the DDT we used for the mosquitos did a number on them, I guess.
    The good news is that they are slowly making a comeback. When I was a kid that was my favorite times, hunting quail and squirrel.

Art