The Firearms Forum banner

Doomsday Preppers, Week 2

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rcairflr 
#1 ·
Are you ready to get prepared for a catastrophe? Its on the Natural Geographic Channel in one Hour.

#3 · (Edited)
I still think this is a great vehicle, but I was left kinda blah with this week's fair. I know that it takes some big bucks to do what these folks are doing and a real commitment. I just hope that they will be able to keep what they have stock piled in the event of some catastrophe.
I may be selfish and un-trusting in humane nature from my life experiences. But, that guy that said he lives in a great community of people and didn't need to take any precautions for self defense just may be a little illogical.

#4 ·
Reading on another forum some of the stuff that NG was asking them to do say, etc. Wanted them to look as "crazy" as they could get on camera and cut it to look that way when they did not. One woman that appeared says she was offered $1,000 to kill her cat on screen by the producer.

I will watch this show but just hearing that stuff made me watch from a different perspective.

#6 ·
That dude that lives by the highway and grows 90% of what family eats on site. No defense mentioned at all and the "experts" did not bring it up???? A hungry crowd would go through that property in under an hour. The show has prompted me to buy another sidearm though and another large tin of surplus ammo for the Mosin Nagant, so it has its good points.

#7 ·
We don't get National Geo, but after all the hype I looked On Demand and there it was. Watched that last episode last night. I really hope I never have one of those "misfires" where the barrel turns sideways or backwards and blows my thumb off. That's how he described it, a "misfire". Nossirree, sure don't want one of them there "misfires" ... especially when you're playing Rambo and your kids are there and the zombies are in the perimeter, and that "misfire" causes you to pass out.

Those older Carolina folks seem to have it together - big group coming, 60+ guns, mountains of supplies. I was impressed that they're using their considerable means to take care of their friends and family.

#8 · (Edited)
Reading on another forum some of the stuff that NG was asking them to do say, etc. Wanted them to look as "crazy" as they could get on camera and cut it to look that way when they did not. One woman that appeared says she was offered $1,000 to kill her cat on screen by the producer.

I will watch this show but just hearing that stuff made me watch from a different perspective.
I was wondering about that. Skills learned are skills learned and it always pays in the long run to be prepared for any eventuality. However, saying this....some of the scenarios presented are this side of "Coast to Coast".

But some "preppers" limitations are significant though. Like the NYC firefighter who is unable to obtain any guns to store. Although I rather doubt Yellowstone will explode anytime soon, his concern over the dust clouds is not without understanding what he went through as a responder "on that day". Also for anyone who has ever lived through a huge Monsoon dust storm as we get here (for that matter, read about the Black Clouds hitting the Midwest during the "Dustbowl")

Most seem to think disasters will result in full collapse and "Road Warrior" scenarios will be the only result. Probably in the larger cities, for sure. But the more altruistic ones who believe small communities will keep together do have a point.

At least the show gives some tips, if you haven't thought about before, and their "experts" make worthwhile suggestions.

But over all, I look upon this rather like the previous shows from a couple of years ago, where, for a month or so, a small group of people "live" a post apocalyptic scenario in a city or rural area. Just thrown together and make "do" with whatever they have on hand. Formulaic, and we can all point out mistakes being made. But a few "oh...now that's an idea".

Occasionally, regular TV shows manage to get it "right" or close to it. Wish "Jericho" was still showing.......Or "Jeremiah"

#9 ·
I still think this is a great vehicle, but I was left kinda blah with this week's fair. I know that it takes some big bucks to do what these folks are doing and a real commitment. I just hope that they will be able to keep what they have stock piled in the event of some catastrophe.
I may be selfish and un-trusting in humane nature from my life experiences. But, that guy that said he lives in a great community of people and didn't need to take any precautions for self defense just may be a little illogical.
I think you are being kind, I would say dillusional and or stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.