Dorman products scare me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

first off I must mention that I am a veteran mechanic with over 23 years experience under the hood professionally.

lately I have lost faith in their stuff. they used to be the cat's meow by having things the dealer had but at a great saving and improving on OE designs.

it all started with the coolant elbows for the GM 3800 V6. the O rings were leaking within 3 months. we have replaced so many with them it's scary. now we get them right from GM although they cost about twice. can't take chances with a customer's car.

then we had a set of oil cooler lines on a 2000 Blazer fail with about 7 months and less than 3000 miles. the rubber was cracking and looked worse than a fuel hose exposed to the environment for 30 years. the vehicle lost 4 quarts of oil and the customer saw the wetness on ground as she was walking back to car in parking lot. once again, we replaced with OE at about twice the price but quadruple the confidence.

follow that up with failed wheel studs on a 95 Blazer. we replaced all 10 on the front. I noticed they were severely rusted while I was replacing both front wheel speed sensor/backing plates. I already had the hubs off so I used the shop press to install them. I should note that we use a 4 step process to install wheels so as that we don't have any wheel loss issues. the RF had 4 of the 5 studs just snap while the customer was making a slow left turn. once again, we replaced with OE at a cost to the shop and lost time for me.

is there anything Dorman makes I can trust?
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

never heard of them
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know a thing about fixing cars, but it sounds like Dorman is maybe getting all their parts from China to lower costs.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I hope so, I was looking at buying some replacement air press sensors. Maybe I should reconsider; that's a pretty lackluster record on their performance in other areas. Sad to see quality going down the drain.
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you look at an Insider Trading report, you'll see that there CEO and majority owner, Mr. Berman, has been dumping a lot of stock.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use their spline drive lugnuts on my Jeep and Ranger. aside from the chrome plating flaking off from the impact they have stayed tight and not fallen off. Not too big a surprise with the ranger, its just a lite duty pickup that I drive to work, but the jeep gets ragged on and beat to hell and wheeled thru the mud and rocks pretty regular.
  7. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

That's pretty disturbing to hear. I was an auto mechanic for near 40 yrs. I was a Dorman stocking dealer. They had stuff almost impossible to get from the dealer/manufacturer. I never had a problem with anything from freeze plugs to lug studs. Of course that was close to 20 yrs. ago. A lot of stuff has gone to China during that time.
  8. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

Were they sheared off clean or did the holes of the wheel get wollered out?