double barrel ELG

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigfoot13, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bigfoot13

bigfoot13 New Member

What ammo can you fire in this gun Laminated steel barrel? Would low power shells be acceptable and how much if anything is it worth?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

ELG is the proof mark for Belgium. Laminated steel is just another name for welded steel, where steel rods are twisted around a mandrel and heat/ forged welded together. Much cheaper and quicker than the bending/heating and blending of steel in Damascus steel. These guns were shipped to the US by the boat load prior to and after WWI. After WWI Damascus and its variants went out of favor in lieu of so called fluid steel or modern high carbon steel. Most of the Belgium hardware guns sold only for a few dollars and were considered very cheap guns at the time. In England they still shoot old Damascus shotguns on a daily basis, HOWEVER. those guns are high quality and reproofed prior to being used. The gun is probably chambered for the 2 5/8 shell ( I believe that is the size, if not correct me ), which is not sold today.My opinion and this is my opinion only, these old cheap Belgium laminated and Damascus shotguns are best left on the wall. You have no ideal of how the shotgun was used, nor how it was stored. Others may have other opinions such as Yes, you can use black powder loads or modern low pressure loads. Final cut, your gun, your extremities. Value, from the information furnished, from one dollar to 200 dollars.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

+1 on that. Unless you have access to a supply of spare fingers and eyeballs, I strongly recommend not shooting ANY Damascus or laminated barrel shotgun with any load, even black powder.

I have seen sectioned a few barrels that looked good on the outside and had shiny bores but were nothing but orange lace inside due to corrosion eating into the barrel metal through fine weld cracks.

Jim
  4. lesboe

lesboe New Member

I have acquired one of these old ELG guns in reasonable condition, s/n 13238. does anyone have an idea of the age. Also i have a savage 1899, 30.30 cal lever action s/n 30.767, 26 inch round barrel and would like to know if anyone can date this rifle. Tks. les