Double Barrel Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CentralNY, Jan 10, 2011.

1. CentralNY

CentralNY New Member

Older Shotgun of my grandfathers,

It Says on the other side (to hard to take a picture)

Crescent Fire Co
    Norwich Conn USa

Any info is appreciated:)

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Crescent was a prolific maker of guns, mainly double shotguns, both under their own name and under a bewildering variety trade names. If a hardware store or distributor ordered as few as ten guns, they could have Crescent put their name on the guns.

Crescent guns were of decent, but not high, quality, utilitarian guns made in an era when game was plentiful and a shotgun was a tool, plain and simple.

I recommend against firing the gun with modern ammunition; I can't tell from the pictures, but if it has Damascus (twist) barrels, it should not be fired at all.

Jim
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum, so how old is shotgun?
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member

A little history:

CRESCENT FIRE ARMS CO. & CRESCENT-DAVIS ARMS CORP.
    Previous manufacturers and trademarks manufactured circa 1888-1931 in Norwich, CT.
    In 1888, George W. Cilley bought out the defunct Bacon Arms Co. of Norwich, CT. He then formed an alliance with Frank Foster, and borrowed enough money to form the Crescent Fire Arms Company. Cilley and Foster each held several firearms patents, and both were highly qualified in firearms design and manufacture. Production began with single shot tip-up shotguns, which had an external side hammer. Double barrel shotgun production was started in 1891. In 1893, they began making bicycle chains, and that same year, H&D Folsom took over the company's financial control. Early in the 1890s, Crescent built a rifle that resembled the Remington No. 4. A very rare Crescent was the .410 bore shotgun pistol, which was introduced in the 1920s. In 1929, N.R. Davis Firearms Co., then owned by Warner Arms Corp., merged with Cresent to become Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. Because of financial crisis, business continued to decline, and they were forced to sell out. Savage Arms Co. acquired Cresent-Davis in 1931, assembled guns from the remaining parts, and these guns were sold under the Crescent name only. In 1932, the city of Norwich, CT, took over the Crescent property for non-payment of back taxes. After the Norwich facility was closed, manufacture was moved to Chicopee Falls.
    It is unknown whether or not Crescent did any high grade or custom work. However, a very well engraved SxS, with the Crescent logo, is known to exist in a private collection.
    Crescent Fire Arms Company remains best known as a manufacturer of "house brand" shotguns (i.e., Crescent private labeled guns for retailers, distributors, mail-order houses, etc.). Over 100 different trademarks have been observed to date, manufactured by Crescent. Almost all the remaining specimens today are priced as shooters and have no collector value.
  5. CentralNY

CentralNY New Member

Ahh no value. I thought it was something nice and old. Looks like a great gun. Can't find any other markings about a date or anything. Thanks
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Old doesn't mean gold, :eek: Also all of Crescent's records were destroyed in 1941. No way to date it other than between 1920 and 1940.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

One footnote to BillM's history. While Davis and Warner were associated, Davis produced the Davis-Warner "Infallible" pistols, interesting curios, but not very safe and certainly not "infallible". Prior to WWI, Warner had sold the Schwarzlose blow-forward pistols, imported from Austria.

Jim
  8. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Think all is lost bunky? Then lift up your head and shout! Post the serial number found on the gun. You'll find it on the water table or on the lower tang. I can tell you when the gun was made.
  9. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Anchor Clanker,

Do you have info on other Crescent house brands too?

I have a Hartford Firearms Co SxS that I would like to know the age of. Best info so far was a range of 1890 to 1920 (90229)

os
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I can tell you that Hartford was one of the Crescent brand names. Perhaps someone else can provide more information.

Jim
  11. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I have a berkshire that is a crescent double that is very well made similar to my l.c. smith 00 grade. I would not be afraid to shoot regular shells in it. I wouldn't test it with 3 inch magnums but the cheapest non suped up ones would be ok. I had another that I traded, it was central arms, crescent and I hunted with it and when it left my care, it was just as tight as the mint original one I have now.