Double barrels - attaching barrels together?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BlueTic, Jul 4, 2004.

1. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

Any of you smiths done this??
    Ok - I want to build a good double Black powder rifle .50 cal - using a double 12 bore action and 2 .50 cal barrels. I can probably do most of the needed milling/metal work but need info on soldering barrels to a center rib..... suggestions please.....
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

My understanding is that the biggest problem is getting the barrels registered to one another so they both hit same POI at a given distance. While your are at it, why don't you just build a Drilling? :D

Pops
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

There should be an upper and lower rib. Regulation is accomplished by shimming at the muzzle prior to finish soldering.

How do you plan to attach the lumps?
  4. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

I'm not sure - I was just wondering what the problems might be. Which part are the lumps?? I was thinking maybe a double breach block and a double barrel band (might look a bit gaudy with a big band holding the barrels together on the end of the stock). I think the biggest problem would be removing the old barrels off the breach and finding round .50 cal barrels to match the breach. There would hardly be any stock modifications from that point... As you can tell - I'm a complete novice, but I don't want something where I tell my buddy - "Hold my beer and watch this" :D I would likely have a local smith here do the soldering and I can brown it after.....
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Since we are talking black powder, it would not be a break-action. Is your existing action already set up for external hammers? If so, then all you would have to do is modify the hammers to hit the offset nipples. If you use in-line bbls, you could use the existing breech without modification, but remember you can't hunt in this state with 209 primers, nor with enclosed caps. If I remember correctly, TC uses half-round/half-octagon bbls on some of their pieces.

There is enough meat in a black powder bbl to allow for dovetailing the lumps into the bbl(s.) Are you going to use a full stock, or a two piece? A full stock would make mounting the bbls easier, as the stock would hold the bbls in place and the action's recoil plate could be cut to receive the hooked breech plugs of the bbls.

There, that should be worth about $0.02. :D

Pops