Double D – What a guy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, May 27, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Early this month, I posted a story about what I had to do to buy a new pistol. I wanted a .22, and was having a difficult time convincing the wife to let me buy one, so I cashed in five gallons of pennies that I had been saving for thirty years, and bought the S&W 22-A that I had been wanting.

I never dreamed that my adventure of cashing in my pennies for a gun would result in getting two new guns, but that is exactly what happened. Double D our moderator and host, saw my post about the pennies, and ended up sending me a brand new Marlin 785 22 long rifle! He even through in the 20 bucks for the transfer fee! My original post about the pennies is located here: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=106484

No one has ever done anything like this for me in my entire life. Double D is one very special person, to give such a gift to a complete stranger. The generosity and friendship of people like Double D here at TFF amazes me.

I tried out the Smith 22 pistol two weeks ago and I did much better with the Smith 22 then I do with my 9mm. I was all over the target, but at least I hit it. Last Saturday I went again to try out the Marlin. I got to the range early so I would be sure to get a spot, and decided to hit the handgun range first, knowing that it can get very busy. My plan was to move over to the 50-yard and possibly the 100-yard rifle range a little later to try the Marlin out, but it got so busy I never got the chance, and had to settle for the 25-yard range.

Shooting the Marlin from the seated prone position, I first tried CCI Blazer standard 40 grain. I had tight groups with the CCI, and just about every round was slightly above and left of the bull's-eye. I had a couple of failure to feeds with the CCI, so after about 50 rounds, I switched to Federal 1,420 fps, 40 grain, and that seemed to do the trick. I shot about 150 rounds of Federal, and couldn’t really tell were I was hitting, until I went down rage to inspected the target. I basically removed the red bull's-eye portion of the target. I think there was only about a half a dozen shots that missed the mark. I had a blast, and thanks to Double D, I can tell that I will have fun with this one for years to come.

Thanks again Double D!
  2. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Yes he is a Great guy
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

F.Y.I. Double D became my first friend on this forum, and to this day he is one of my favorites here. I would say it's a toss up between him and Jack404 for me. Double D is what you would call "Good people" and he is the biggest reason that I decided to camp out on this along with Jack404. What a couple of great guys to know. That a great story, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Well Done DD! :)
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Sounds like the man I have come to know here on the forum also. He is a great fella.
  6. geds

geds New Member

I concur! I got to meet Dan a couple of months back and the man put a care package in my car - and here I was a stranger to him! Couldn't find a nicer guy anywhere!
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

he sounds like a very upstanding person
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Dan is Da Man............
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree.
  10. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Double D is cool...........period!
  11. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

It's a wide wide world, keep going and you'll eventually run into some decent people!
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

yes he is. And when i have the extra $$$ plan on going through him for a Sparten race pistol in 38 super.
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

DD is just another reason this is such a great site, unlike any other I've seen.
  14. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

I have had the pleasure of knowing Dan and his family personally for many years now and I can personally testify that they are all great people. Me and my family are blessed to know them!
  15. USNative

USNative New Member

Double D is a Good Man and one of the first to greet me when I first joined TFF. Made me feel welcome and I really like him. Plus I think my views have a lot in common with his.

Really brings a lot to TFF for me and many others. Thanks DD for all you contribute here. :cool:
  16. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks all for the kind words. I appreciate all of you.
  17. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

Here here... Double Cool guy, Dan. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for a great Ruger!
  18. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Rocketman, thanks for posting that. DD is a generous, caring guy who just loves helping people enjoy shooting.

Dan, you've done it again. Thanks.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice going Dan i know how he feels