Double rifle drilling J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cgb, Jan 10, 2009.

1. cgb

cgb New Member

I need help identifying and valuing a German gun. It is a double barrel rifle drilling made by J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. Bluing is 90-95%--really lightly used. Stock is in excellent condition. The top of the barrel(s) has markings for J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl on each shotgun barrel, and H. Aug. Strache, bochum. down the textured center. Written perpendicular to the J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl on the shotgun barrel is Hrupp-Essen. Serial number is 187936. There is a hallmark rectangular inlay of a standing knight in an oval. I can find no other hallmark type markings.
  2. cgb

cgb New Member

Here are the pictures...

Attached Files:

3. Mark

Mark New Member

The bluing on that one is almost gone. Originally they had a rust blue that was a mile deep.
    I'll bet the steel is Krupp, not Hrupp.

Even so, that is a sidelock gun, and is quite a fancy piece.

I would find a person knowledgeable about these and get a professional appraisal. This is a firearm that is worth investigating.
    Mark
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I agree with Mark. A gun of this value is worth the time and money for a professional appraisal. By the way what is it chambered for? Best regards Kirk
  5. cgb

cgb New Member

Thank for the responses Mark and Kirk. It is chambered for 30/06 and .20 guage. How would I go about getting that professional appraisal? I am in the San Antonio/Austin, Texas area and can't seem to find anyone who knows enough about it to value it. Would blue book have a value to start? If the serial numbers are any indication I'm thinking it dates c. 1920, but that is just deductive based on similar guns seen for sale online. What is the best, safest way to sell something like this? I'm so green and don't know who to trust.
  6. cgb

cgb New Member

I reexamined the barrel marking and it is Krupp-Essen on the right and Fluss-Stahl on the left.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Usually these guns are found in European calibers, such as 9.3mm over 16 ga. This one is kind of rare, as it was made for the American market in a US caliber and gauge. A conservative value for this firearm would be in the $3500 to $4000 range.