The Firearms Forum banner

Double tap practice

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
Did my usual practice today. I know many of y'all practice this, but some don't. Those who don't should.

I usually run this at least once a month with my 1911-22, especially since a .22 is not what anyone would call a man-stopper. I set up 2 targets at about 10yds about 6 feet apart. Draw from holster, rack and fire 2, switch - 2more, back to first - 2 more, etc. till mag is empty, drop mag, reload and repeat. Do it again from sitting and other positions including awkward starts. I'm pushing 70, a little slow getting up off the ground, but I still got it. :D

Who else runs this kind of practice?

#2 ·
I practice this..I dont have spare mags for one of my guns..but soon will have for all!

#4 ·
try crickets!! buggers are really hard to hit!! good for the enviroment too! or for fishing!!

#5 ·
Shoulda seen me yesterday, I looked like a freakin gunslinger. Running drills against my timer set on random. Beep to bang average just under 2 sec with accurate hit. No double tap for me unless contact distance, I do controlled pairs. Or strings of however many shots. But forgot to practice alt firing positions as u did, very good training.
Can't wait to have enough land to set up a permanent training area, mines mobile as I only have 2 acres.

#6 ·
And don't forget weak hand practice, I still suck at it even after yrs of doing it...

Moving targets are easy to make, string/rope and get a good pulley and bolt a spring clamp on it. Tie the rope up tight at an angle and either use a string to release it or a buddy.... Or a steel popper to release it. Weight the target a little bit and you will have some awesome movers to blaze away at!

#7 ·
And don't forget weak hand practice, I still suck at it even after yrs of doing it...

Moving targets are easy to make, string/rope and get a good pulley and bolt a spring clamp on it. Tie the rope up tight at an angle and either use a string to release it or a buddy.... Or a steel popper to release it. Weight the target a little bit and you will have some awesome movers to blaze away at!
Yeah, that to. And I also suck at it. I know how to make poppers and movers, just haven't got a round toit. Besides, critters are much more realistic. :D

#8 ·
I pratice double tapping only I follow up with a head shot within a couple seconds after my second shot. So not necessarly a true double tap, call it a tripple tap, two to the chest and one to the head, silhouette targets naturally.

I hate practicing off hand because I suck at it as well, but still work on it.

#9 ·
Did my usual practice today. I know many of y'all practice this, but some don't. Those who don't should.

I usually run this at least once a month with my 1911-22, especially since a .22 is not what anyone would call a man-stopper. I set up 2 targets at about 10yds about 6 feet apart. Draw from holster, rack and fire 2, switch - 2more, back to first - 2 more, etc. till mag is empty, drop mag, reload and repeat. Do it again from sitting and other positions including awkward starts. I'm pushing 70, a little slow getting up off the ground, but I still got it. :D

Who else runs this kind of practice?
Every chance I get

#10 ·
failure drill= two to the chest, one to the head. This assumes that anyone you shoot at that is wearing body armor still goes down for the count. not a bad practice to employ

I guess I did practice moving targets yesterday, empty $3 propane cylinder with the FN-FAL, tap - pweeeeeew! tap, pweeeeeep! keeps it fun until it dissapears from sight. kind of a moving target....

and I do pick them up when I'm done, please don't leave your trash in the woods. I shoot in the nat'l forest and want to smack people who litter. pack it out.

but have a great time while you're there! Bang!

#12 · (Edited)
I pratice double tapping only I follow up with a head shot within a couple seconds after my second shot. So not necessarly a true double tap, call it a tripple tap, two to the chest and one to the head, silhouette targets naturally.

I hate practicing off hand because I suck at it as well, but still work on it.
This is the best to practice and to practice again and again. This is called the failure drill aka the mozambique drill. Am pushing 67 and this is the only drill I practice in the range for 30 years. Otherwise it's all dry firing, drawing and presentation from a wheelchair. Been in one for 2 yrs now because of bad hips.

But for shooters of any age, your drill is still the best for anyone in the event of real encounters.

#13 ·
My practice is move, draw on the move, fire on the move. All shots are as fast as I can get them off accurately, while moving. If you’re in a gun fight and you're not moving, shooting, on the move, and reloading on the move, you are a stationary target, and probably dead! The only time I practice while not moving is if I am behind cover, and cover is not the same as concealment.

#14 ·
What I need are some popups and moving targets. Occasionally I'll get to practice on a **** or possum after dark tho, which helps. Those little suckers are hard to hit.
Head shots in low light, you bet they are. They are constantly moving (targets)
and the brain/head shots dont give alot of room for error.

#15 ·

Attachments

#16 ·
I also do these drills.

I have a leg drop for my Glock 22 and 5 hi-caps. When I am double tapping and movement drills I only load 2 or three rounds in each mag. That way I also have to practice switching mags. I have a triple stack pouch on my right side and a pouch on the leg drop rig.

I'm a lefty. Pull the weapon on the move two rounds. Drop mag. Switch hands and pull the mag on the leg drop still moving. Two rounds right handed, drop mag. Switch hands. Pull from pouch one, two rounds. find cover, drop mag while moving. new mag two rounds. drop mag fire two more from cover.

10 rounds, LOTS of moving and doing. I don't know if it will help me in a fire fight but it is one hell of a lot of fun. Good cardio too.

#17 ·
A moving target is much harder to hit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.