Dove Season Opens in Georgia Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by JohnK3, Aug 31, 2007.

1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

After having fertilized, limed, plowed, planted and harrowed my feed plot down in Talbot County, I'm heading out this weekend with most of the family (Jerrica, the 19yo wants to stay home.) to do some work on the camper (at my wife, Stephannie's request) and to hang my 2-man ladder stand. Even more exciting, however, is the fact that dove season opens at noon on the 1st of September!

While I had to buy some Winchester Texas Heavy Dove & Quail load for this weekend, I prefer to reload my own. Just couldn't get any done for this weekend, as the loading bench is in the process of moving.

I did, however, find the perfect reload to duplicate the Winchester Texas Heavy load:

12 Gauge
    • 2 3/4-in. Win. Polyformed with Plastic Wad
    • 1 1/8 shot wt. #8 plated (copper- or nickel-plated)
    • Win. 209 Primers
    • Win. WAA12 (White) Wads

Dram Equiv. Shot Wt. Velocity Primer Powder Wad Grains Approx. psi
    3.25 1 1/8 1,255 Win. 209 Green Dot Win. WAA12 (White) 23.5 8,800
  2. Hope you take your limit this weekend, John! :D
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I'm pretty stoked about it myself John, we've had an extreamly wet year, to which I have endured throughout my work season to the point of actually screaming obscenities at the clouds, but if there is anything good about all the precipitation (for me) is that hunting season will be fruitfull this year...I expect to see big ol' fat birds and lots of them.

The only bad thing about Tx for Dove Season is that even though it opens tomorrow, it will be too hot...Hopefully within the next several weeks things will cool down and we can sling some lead the second month of our season which is from September 1'st to October 30th.

Keep us updated on how you do, will ya?
  4. But Donny, I thought that Texas doves were already so large that state law requires hunters to use 000 buck shot to hunt them! :D ;) :p
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

LOL...

Well, ya hate to just wound them! :D :D :D
  6. OK, Donny. Before the hunt it's always a good idea to refresh one's memory of the target . . .

[​IMG]
    Appropriate target. Excellent eating.

[​IMG]
    Inappropriate target. Poor eating.

:D ;) :p
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Just got back a few hours ago.

Got the ladder stand up, so Katydid and I have a place to hunt from this season. The food plot is looking nice, with the wheat and soybeans already starting to poke up above the dirt. The camper is now level and I don't feel like I'm sleeping on the set of a villain's hideout in an old Batman TV show. Not to mention that the holding tanks now drain properly.

We got a bit of dove hunting in. Saw some doves, but they wouldn't come in close enough for us to do anything about it. Maybe later in the season.

Bow season opens next weekend....
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks for the update John...Since I cant get out and enjoy a hunt right now, I'll just live vicariously through you. :D

Hey Rich, I disagree! That second one makes a good target as well, just not appropriate for eating. :D
  9. Well, I must admit that is true, Donny. Even more fun though are these if you're just looking for targets:

[​IMG]

Smart little suckers too! :eek: :D
  10. firebird

firebird New Member

I'm beginning to feel quite uncomfortable with this thread. I think it's ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE and quickly crossing the offensive line...not that I'm bias or anything...:)
  11. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Do anyone around here try and aim for these little guys with their car while driving down the road? Or am I the only one? :)