Dove season

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by sting75ray, Sep 1, 2012.

1. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Dove season is here once again. Everybody hunting today have a great time and be safe. My daughter and I are headed out for some quality time on the dove pond here shortly. Sure wish she would let me shoot my old Red Label.:D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Enjoy the day, I didnt even know dove season opened up. What kind of shotguns you going to be using?
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Haven't been dove hunting in years. It would appear that you either own land to hunt on, or you lease land to hunt on. I only have 7 acres, can't afford to buy more, and can't afford to lease, so I guess I'll just sit out another season.
  4. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Doves are a good way to bone up on your wing shooting be sure to take lots of shells. They are good eating if you like dark meat and i mean dark.
  5. sting75ray

Daughter is shooting her 20Ga Red Label and I carried my 12Ga Gold Label.
  6. sting75ray

I have 90 acres here at my place with some trees on it but the water hole we used to have a few years ago has dried up. I know several land owners around here that we can hunt on. Working for almost nothing in the fertilizer business several years ago did pay off some.:D
  7. sting75ray

This is the second year dove hunting since Dad passed away. I sure wish he could have been there to see his granddaughter shoot the way she did. The first 6 dove that came in were all down with one shot each. After that she missed a pair that came in and she did what I have seen grown men do time and time again, she missed the first bird and instead of staying with it she swung over to the other one and missed it as well. I shot twice at the first place that we went to and never even pulled a feather, I could hear laughter from above. Tonight when we go back out I am leaving my SXS in the truck and letting her do all the shooting.:D
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Great to hear she got out with you. My three sons and I had a banner morning, and then went back in the afternoon with two friends and topped the day off and finished our limits of 15 doves each. What we lost in accuracy we made up for in total shots fired. What an enjoyable way to spend family time. Now it's time for some ice on my shoulder and an adult beverage. :) (I understand Ms. Sandy is now curled up in a ball sleeping most soundly.)
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. garydude

garydude Member

Glad you had a great time. I'm going out tomorrow with my son and can't wait. I went our today by myself and shot 4 birds with 5 rounds. First bird was tough hombre and required two rounds.

I can say that the number of birds was much less than in previous years. I saw waaaay more hunters than birds.
  10. sting75ray

We had a great time tonight. About an hour before dark the stock on my daughter's Red Label got loose so she took over with my Gold Label and I was her bird dog. I am a little too old and fat to be chasing down crippled dove.:D
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

looks good , so how do you prep your birds ?
  12. sting75ray

Several different ways. Wrap them in bacon on the smoker is my favorite. We also cut the meat off each side of the bone and have a beer batter that we dip them in before we deep fry them. My kids love them this way. My wife will not eat them at all.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry i mean basic prep like peeling them or plucking them etc

i've never been a bird bird hunter besides mally fowl ( scrub turkey) but i prep them in a tub of scalding water then peel the skin and feathers in one hit cause plucking the buggers is a heck of a chore

and emu's we treat like cattle when we get one
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  14. sting75ray

We just peel skin, feathers, and all off at one time.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

:thumbsup: ok cool folks here pluck em so hey get the crispy skin for roasting , ( heck i just rip the hide and feather off )