DPI? Ginga, James, others?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I was recently approached by a publication that is interested in purchasing one of my photos for the cover of their Nov 2009 magazine, I would give them rights to the photo for one year. The paperwork is en route to me which I will look over very carefully, of course I'll be given credit etc, but the one thing I cant find is how to send it to them in the proper format upon an agreement.

They require that it be in (at least) 300 DPI (Dots Per Inch) for their printing purposes.

I do not own a printer to play around with and check the DPI, nor have I needed one thus far.

I do have Photoshop Elements which I may be able to use to find this information, but do not know where to look.

I'm betting that I can just send them the original if it comes down to it, with the hopes/thought that it is well above their needs, but just to be ahead of the game, I knew that someone here would know what the hell they are talking about. :D

Thanks in advance.

Crpdeth
  2. durk

durk New Member

You going to tell us what publication?:cool:
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Its probably for the magazine "Chrome Dome Haircuts"....? :eek::eek::D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Congratulations! I hope they are paying you a ton for the rights. :) Be sure to let us know when it's published so we can all check it out.

I'm confused as to why they are specifying DPI. That's a printer measurement, not an image measurement. They aren't asking you to send a print, are they? That would be silly.

I am assuming they want you to provide the image as a digital file, in which case the measurement of interest would be pixels per inch, which is an entirely different subject altogether.

I would think they would ask for the original digital image, since that would provide them with the highest quality image that is available, which they could then manipulate to the specifications needed.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks Ginga, those were my exact thoughts... The person I spoke with last must have been remembering something the guys in the printing room said and relayed it to me.

The original image (Yes, it will be sent digital) is saved at 650x459 so that will have to be enough... Or I suppose I could drag it into Photoshop and blow it back up to 3008x2000 which is what it was.

Naaa, this isn't a mag that you'll see on the shelf, it is a Christian publication. In discussing a dollar amount I told them that I would do this for free because of who they are and was told with a laugh that I would be receiving a check, lol, so I have no idea how much I'm getting, only that I wont be cashing it. :D

Crpdeth
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh yeah? I thought you were a Heathen? :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D;)

mike
    gn
  7. Dots Per Inch usually means the maximum dots a printer can print per inch. Roughly speaking the more DPI the higher quality the print will be. DPI is for printers, PPI is for printed images. But I don't think there is an official definition of the difference. PPI is simply how many pixels are printed per inch of paper.

I don't care what the "image information" on your camera says, or the what PPI reading on your paint program says, only when you print can you really say what the PPI is. And the same image will have different PPI when printed at different sizes. ;)
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks, Rich....

Mike, unfortunately you are correct, but I cant predict who will be looking at my pics and if it "fits" a certain genre that I never expected when I snapped the shot, I am more than happy. :)

Crpdeth
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Since you don't have a printer or scanner to play with; Kinko's or a local Wally World or camera shop should be able to manipulate your print or file easily enough and not cost much.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Photoshop should be able to tell you the image information. Unfortunately at that size it may be too low a DPI but maybe not.

I have CS4 but I think a lot of the menus are the same. Let me check where you find that information.

I think if you go to Image > Image Size where it says "Resolution: xxx pixels/inch" that should tell you the DPI! You can change this value, so if yours is too low maybe try punching in 300 and send it off to them and see if it works.

Unfortunately I mostly work little with print and even less with photos (as opposed to graphics I made) so parts of this area are outside my experience.

And most importantly congratulations !
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I can't help with Photoshop but I might be able to offer some help toward the original question. I use Gimp. Do you know how large the print will be in the magazine? If so, that's a starting point. Download Gimp from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.6.6-i686-setup.exe (Gimp is open source and free). I use an older version than you will get but it should be similar.

After you install the program, create a copy of the picture file that you want to edit and open the copy with Gimp. Create a copy so that you do not screw up the original while learning the Gimp program. After the picture is open, go to the Image/Print Size menu and select that option. Next, you will see a dialog box that shows the picture size in inches as resolution in Pixels/Inch is changed for the x and y axes. If you know the target image size in inches, then you can see roughly what the maximum Pixels/Inch can be acquired for the given image size. Change Pixels per Inch to 300, and you will see the effect on the print size of your image. My image is only capable of 7.6 x 5.1 inches at 300 ppi. After you're done, press OK and save the image. I hope this helps... :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Congrats, my friend. :)
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Pony's got it. In PhotoShop, you go to Image, Resize, make sure the Resample box is checked, enter 300 in that box and say done.

I do this all the time, as FirstInLine's little digital doesn't deliver very big pictures. Her big digital does fine and, of course, film is the best high pixel count medium.

NEVER work on an original.

Pops
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I was just being a smart***.... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks a lot, friends...

What I have done is sent the photo that I have off to them and received a response that "It will probably work".

If not, I will come back to this thread and play around with your ideas.

Pony, I am remembering that I used to have Gimp, wonder what happened? Hmm, I bet that I lost it during one of my many computer failures and never re-downloaded it... I need to do that. Thanks!

I know, Mike... We dont take you seriously around here! :D :D :D

Crpdeth