DPMS Trigger

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tundra01, Aug 19, 2009.

1. tundra01

tundra01 New Member

I just bought a new DPMS Panther flattop about a month ago. The first time I took it out I decided to put a new Nikon 3X9 scope on top of it. I did not like the trigger at all. I read a few articles and talked to some other owners about my problem. I took it apart and went to work with some polish and 600grit sand paper trying to smooth the trigger out some, did not help much if any. Then I read where you could bend the trigger spring and clip one prong of the hammer spring. Well I took it out this morning and the pull was a lot better but the durn firing pin was not hitting the primer hard enough to ignite it. Got home and ordered new hammer and trigger springs from Midway. Now I'm right back where I started with a lousey trigger pull. What are my best options?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

After market triggers!

There are the trigger parts approach, both adjustable and just drop in. There is the Timney drop in trigger module approach. There are single stage and double stage triggers available. For a lot more details go to the Brownells website. They sell al kinds of gunsmithing parts and the AR platform parts is one of their biggest selling areas.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=798/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/AR-15-Triggers

I bought the JARD adjustable trigger and installed it. Adjustment is critical. Get it too tight and the gun may double (don't ask how I know that, and yes the gun was illegal at that point). Adjust it too loose and there is a lot of creep. If I had to do it again I might select a different manufacturer and a two stage trigger. After owning a couple of European guns with two stage triggers I have come to think they are a better way.

LDBennett
  3. hayes1966

hayes1966 New Member

4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have the Bushmaster two stage in my AR predator and in my DPMS LR308 I have the single stage JP that came in the gun. While I like the single stage, ever since I started with a two stage I agree with LD that it is the way to go.
  5. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

I have tried and still have most of the different triggers available as I have build a lot of AR-15's . My favorite is the JP trigger. It is easy to adjust and install.
  6. tundra01

tundra01 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only person that has had this problem. Looks like I have got several options. At least now I have a starting point. Just reading the reviews and pricing I will probably go with either the JP or Chip McCormick. I really appreciate the help.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

And I'll also add that 600-grit is still a little coarse for "smoothing up" a trigger. I'd finish up a polishing job with 1200-grit minimum or even finer. You want your polished surfaces to look almost like a mirror when you're done. Also be careful that you don't change any of the sear engagement angles when polishing.

I haven't done any AR trigger work...but others here have posted the right suggestion that there are many aftermarket kits to choose from and they'd probably be a better route to go unless you're real familiar with armory level work on the AR.