Drank the blue kool-aid, now I'm paranoid

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 03fxsti, Dec 14, 2011.

1. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Some of you folks who started out on single stage reloading then moved to progressive, how long after you switched did you just relax and run the machine? I used to check powder, c.o.a.l., chamber gauge, every round to 5 rnds. I have been amazed at how consistent my dillon is. That being said, I still keep worrying and stopping work to check this or that. Am I just being a wierdo?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id keep checkin. A machine is just a machine. it doesnt have to shoot the squib loaded ammo and then dig the bullet out, or worse.. a double charge. A double charge of bullseye for a 230 gr bullet in .45ACP will fit in the case without overflowing, but thatll be 10 grains of a fast powder and will make a handgrenade out of just about any .45ACP chambered handgun..

IMO, Keep on checkin..
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Nah I've been doing this for alot of years and still check every 10th round. If something can go wrong it will go wrong. Never hurts to keep a close eye on things.
  4. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

At least I aint the only one. I'm trying to limit it to every tenth round do a quick once over.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I check the powder charge visually on every case before seating the bullet. I weigh the first, second and last charges on each primer tube, so every hundred, I'll weigh 3 rounds.

I'm with Josh, keep on checkin; it won't hurt anything at all.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Get you a LED headlight for when you go progressive. and angle the beam so it lights up the inside of the cases while they cycle. makes visually checking powder dump seemless.

The Remington blood tracker hunting headlights are on clearance at walmart right now for like 10 or 12 bucks and they are damn bright.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Depends on what I'm loading. If it's rifle such as .308 I may check the powder in each of the first 10 rounds, then maybe every 10th for 100 rounds, then I just run it till I stop. I still check OAL every 100 or so, maybe powder once in a while but with rifle you can't get a double charge without knowing it.

Now for pistol I may check every powder charge for 10 - 15 rounds, then every 10th for a hundred, then every 50 rounds double check the powder charge. OAL I check every round for the first 10 then just let 'er rip.

I should mention I have Dillon presses dedicated to specific calibers that I load all the time: .45, 9mm, .30-06, .308, and I never break the presses down, just move them out of the way if I'm not loading that caliber at the time. I can't recall the last time I had anything change except the Lee FCD on the 308, but I got rid of the rubber O ring and screwed a steel ring down good and tight, and it hasn't moved in probably 50,000 rounds.
  8. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Well, I visually check each powder charge before I seat a bullet. What I meant was actually stopping work to weigh charge, check oal, and chamber gauge.. Thanks guys for the replies. I'll just keep adjusting to the new rig.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I check ever 10 rounds, and have a light mounted right over the bench so I can see everything I'm doing. Keep checking!
  10. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

You'll never lose the need to check and check often as you feel necessary. At a minimum every 10 rounds or so is a good routine.

I have gone over it before but I check every powder level with an eye test, every piece of brass both visual before tumbling and by hand after tumbling.

Once you get going on a progressive though you can really start cranking em out. Enjoy and be safe!
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am just like everyone else I guess. I start out checking every round until the powder stabilizes (and it don't take but a couple with the Dillon). Then I check every ten or twelve for a few then I just run with it and check every so often (30 - 50). I have a shop light mounted above the press so I can see down into the case and I look at EVERY one of them.

I can safely say that with the Dillon, I have never had a double charge or a squib load. I cannot say that for when I was using a Lee progressive.
  12. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I always check the primer cup to make sure there is a primer in it. I also check each case to make sure it has been charged. Other than that, I trust the machine.
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

With pistol on the Dillon mine are dedicated and pre-set so I just have to sit down and start loading. I check the first few and then at every point when I add primers. The exception is if I have to clear the loader for some reason; then I start over by checking the first few charges. It's too easy when clearing a problem to introduce an already charged case into the powder drop station and getting a double charge. As already stated; in the .45 acp it's easy to fill a case to double charge and still seat a bullet on it. My other handgun is the .41 magnum and I tend to load powders that WOULD spill over in the event of a double charge.

When I load rifle I check EVERY charge. Every one is hand weighed to the precise charge.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I forgot to mention that. Mine has a tendency to not pick up a primer every once in a while so I DO look at that every time, also.
  15. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

for each round i have a light/mirror system to verify if the primer seated, and a powder checker die... it is easy to peek at the mirror as i look at the powder check die, then peek in the case as i place the bullet in for seating...
  16. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

So watcha doing with the single stage? HuH?
  17. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Checking every so often is just fine and a smart thing to do.

I've recently changed the way I monitor my RL-550B Dillon by using one of these. It works great and is one very handy invention, keeping all of my movements in check and providing a good light source for looking at powder levels. I've done both straight forward loading with it and I've tested it numerous times by purposely making mistakes. It doesn't let you get away with anything, catching any slip-ups immediately and lets you know what you've done or not done correctly. It also keeps track of the loading progress, will remind you when it's time do maintenance on the press and is capable of keeping track of powder level and usage. While not being really cheap to buy, it's not really all that expensive either and at least for me, worth it.

If you can swing it, try it; I think you'll like it. :)

BTW: Although the default setting for the unit is for a Dillon 550, the Press Monitor supports 11 popular reloading presses. It can also support presses not listed using the other progressive or other turret types setting.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  18. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

same here used a dental mirror and zip ties and a cheap LED with flexible neck.

another keep checking vote
  19. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

After 20 years with the Dillon, I still check every tenth round. With my single stage, I get to check every round. The Dillon mostly does 5.56 now.
  20. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

First of all....don't be paranoid.
    I too drank the Blue and don't know how I ever
    managed without it.
    Though speaking of the 'Dillon', in this thread and it's context,
    I believe clarification is in order, especially as others come
    along and stumble onto these posts.
    Checking, checking, checking is essential to anyone
    and everyone, no matter what press you use,
    just to insure safety at the maximum level.
    As we each have our own technique on the Dillon,
    we don't all use the same [blue] press. Therein lies different
    cautions and precautions since the SquareDeal, 650, 1050, etc.
    are auto-indexing, whereas the 550 is manual indexing and
    would, by design, be more prone to accidentally drop a
    double charge if you forget to advance the shellplate.
    So, gentlemen/ladies, if you could/would, please, for the sake
    of others that follow and read these posts we share with our
    experience and helpful hints, clarify which Blue Press model that
    you are referring to, as opposed to saying 'my Dillon'.
    As always, welcome to kmart and the Blue-light special......
    Thanks for stopping by ! :rolleyes:;)