Drank the blue kool-aid, now I'm paranoid

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 03fxsti, Dec 14, 2011.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey ozo, good to see you, its been a while.

My Dillon is a RL550B.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Only dillon i have is a dillon precision multi wrench. ;)
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like Wilson Combat is on-board the Dillon train as well, using at least one 1050 to load their new line of ammo.
  4. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

I spent most of my 34 years of employment in quality control & I guess I've become confident in engineers' efforts in producing quality standards & good products based on them. That's why I chose a Dillon 550b for my press. Once I set my dies to the recipee's settings,after the powder measurements give me 3 consistant readings from my digital scale, I'm confidant that the powder stays the same throughout my loading. I've checked the weight every 2 or 3 hundred rounds just for the heck of it, & it is still the same. I use this method for dimensions also. Once my dies are adjusted, I MIGHT check col & crimp once--- when I start a reloading session. They stay the same; once the dies are set, who comes around & re-adjusts them? I'll check for dirty dies very seldom, because I tumble my brass clean & not transfer any dirt into them. The only dirt that gets into the press comes from de-primeing. I pay attention to the primer bar. When I see it start to get dirty, or when crud causes the bar to not travel all the way back & misses a primer, I either stop & vacuum it clean ( maybe even take apart the primer tube & bar), OR, I'll grab the primer bar & pull it all the way back to pick up the primer when I want to finish a particular run. Dirt under the primer bar is the main culprit for missing a primer. Everyone has their own procedure. Don't change your's because of what I do. My confidence comes from paying attention to what I do, & knowing what the press can & cannot do.
  5. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

I saw that last year, and then lost the link. Thanks! I'll be getting one of those
  6. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Great posts all. I have now loaded 500 ends of .45acp, and am getting more comfortable. Still check each case visually between charging and seating, but after I get five identical powder charges I just check random cases for charge weight, and col. I am stunned at how efficient and fast that machine is. Even dinking around like I have been, its still way faster than I'm used to.
  7. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

I get so caught up in just the neat process of the press, I finish reloading all of a particular run of a caliber, & I start looking around to see if I have enough brass, bullets & primers of another size just to keep the rythum(sp?) going. Am I a candidate for OCD? :)
  8. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Thats funny! I'm waiting for more bullets and case lube and I'm champion at the bit!