Drank the blue kool-aid, now I'm paranoid

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 03fxsti, Dec 14, 2011.

1. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

So watcha doing with the single stage? HuH?
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Checking every so often is just fine and a smart thing to do.

I've recently changed the way I monitor my RL-550B Dillon by using one of these. It works great and is one very handy invention, keeping all of my movements in check and providing a good light source for looking at powder levels. I've done both straight forward loading with it and I've tested it numerous times by purposely making mistakes. It doesn't let you get away with anything, catching any slip-ups immediately and lets you know what you've done or not done correctly. It also keeps track of the loading progress, will remind you when it's time do maintenance on the press and is capable of keeping track of powder level and usage. While not being really cheap to buy, it's not really all that expensive either and at least for me, worth it.

If you can swing it, try it; I think you'll like it. :)

BTW: Although the default setting for the unit is for a Dillon 550, the Press Monitor supports 11 popular reloading presses. It can also support presses not listed using the other progressive or other turret types setting.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

same here used a dental mirror and zip ties and a cheap LED with flexible neck.

another keep checking vote
  4. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

After 20 years with the Dillon, I still check every tenth round. With my single stage, I get to check every round. The Dillon mostly does 5.56 now.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

First of all....don't be paranoid.
    I too drank the Blue and don't know how I ever
    managed without it.
    Though speaking of the 'Dillon', in this thread and it's context,
    I believe clarification is in order, especially as others come
    along and stumble onto these posts.
    Checking, checking, checking is essential to anyone
    and everyone, no matter what press you use,
    just to insure safety at the maximum level.
    As we each have our own technique on the Dillon,
    we don't all use the same [blue] press. Therein lies different
    cautions and precautions since the SquareDeal, 650, 1050, etc.
    are auto-indexing, whereas the 550 is manual indexing and
    would, by design, be more prone to accidentally drop a
    double charge if you forget to advance the shellplate.
    So, gentlemen/ladies, if you could/would, please, for the sake
    of others that follow and read these posts we share with our
    experience and helpful hints, clarify which Blue Press model that
    you are referring to, as opposed to saying 'my Dillon'.
    As always, welcome to kmart and the Blue-light special......
    Thanks for stopping by ! :rolleyes:;)
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey ozo, good to see you, its been a while.

My Dillon is a RL550B.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Only dillon i have is a dillon precision multi wrench. ;)
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like Wilson Combat is on-board the Dillon train as well, using at least one 1050 to load their new line of ammo.
  9. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

I spent most of my 34 years of employment in quality control & I guess I've become confident in engineers' efforts in producing quality standards & good products based on them. That's why I chose a Dillon 550b for my press. Once I set my dies to the recipee's settings,after the powder measurements give me 3 consistant readings from my digital scale, I'm confidant that the powder stays the same throughout my loading. I've checked the weight every 2 or 3 hundred rounds just for the heck of it, & it is still the same. I use this method for dimensions also. Once my dies are adjusted, I MIGHT check col & crimp once--- when I start a reloading session. They stay the same; once the dies are set, who comes around & re-adjusts them? I'll check for dirty dies very seldom, because I tumble my brass clean & not transfer any dirt into them. The only dirt that gets into the press comes from de-primeing. I pay attention to the primer bar. When I see it start to get dirty, or when crud causes the bar to not travel all the way back & misses a primer, I either stop & vacuum it clean ( maybe even take apart the primer tube & bar), OR, I'll grab the primer bar & pull it all the way back to pick up the primer when I want to finish a particular run. Dirt under the primer bar is the main culprit for missing a primer. Everyone has their own procedure. Don't change your's because of what I do. My confidence comes from paying attention to what I do, & knowing what the press can & cannot do.
  10. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

I saw that last year, and then lost the link. Thanks! I'll be getting one of those
  11. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Great posts all. I have now loaded 500 ends of .45acp, and am getting more comfortable. Still check each case visually between charging and seating, but after I get five identical powder charges I just check random cases for charge weight, and col. I am stunned at how efficient and fast that machine is. Even dinking around like I have been, its still way faster than I'm used to.
  12. ransom63

ransom63 New Member

I get so caught up in just the neat process of the press, I finish reloading all of a particular run of a caliber, & I start looking around to see if I have enough brass, bullets & primers of another size just to keep the rythum(sp?) going. Am I a candidate for OCD? :)
  13. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

Thats funny! I'm waiting for more bullets and case lube and I'm champion at the bit!